Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast dispatch unable to back feed phone jacks?

Contributor

Comcast dispatch unable to back feed phone jacks?

I have scheduled several appointments for dispatch to come out and hook up my modem to the house phone jacks.

The first tech who did the install (triple play) told me he did not know how to do this. I would have to call comcast commercial to to do this, he said.

The disptach company is a subcontractor working for comcast CTIS in Punta Gorda Florida.

I have scheduled several appointments, and they keep cancelling them, because they feel that making the house phone jacks work is not their job. They told me to call an electrician.

My question is, is comcast able to provide this service? Or do they simply install a modem with no consideration that the phone jacks have no dial tone? 

Imagine centurylink installing landlines, and none of your phone jacks work?

My second question is. I have read on many amazon posts of Panasonic wireless and Vtech wireless phones do not work with comcast modems.?

I have a dual line coming out of the modem. Any suggestions on equipment?

My third question is quite technical in nature.

If i add two (dual) socket adapters on the modem, One adapter on line 1 and one adapter on line 2. This will give me four outputs. Two outputs for line 1 and two outputs for line 2.

Can I use 2 phones in the office? One phone would receive 2 phone wires (line 1 and 2), and the second phone would also receive 2 phone wires (line 1 and two).

New Poster

Re: Comcast dispatch unable to back feed phone jac

Phonejacks in home are your responsibility as is the internal wiring that came with. Cheap and easy to install. Dont mess up the wire color code.

old houses can be problemmatic but modem taps into cable and existing phone plugs into modem. all lines should connect. its not a case of hooking the modem to all lines. 

so bottom line is they are right - its your problem as home owner

splitters work but the wires get costly go wireless

less hassle to go buy a wireless muliphone for a 100 bucks. i have vtech and panasonic and all work just fine. 8 phones running

6 computers

just tap the working jack add a box and pull the wire if you want to go that way but its a hassle. simple stuff.

imaine: century link is a phone company that does cable

comcast is a cable company that doesnt do phones

if a jack has no dial tone you may have mouse chewed wires - get a screw driver and do the work. there are always extra pairs of wires in the set, you will have to change at the box if you switch.

pleanty of how to do on line

comcast is stellar here - great service.

good luck

Contributor

I tried hooking up both lines to a splitter in the office, then to the wall jack.

Then i hooked up a phone in the master bedroom. The dial tone was very weak. 

Could this be the box outside the house the phone company installed?

I have a few posts of people having huge problems especially with Vtech wireless phones and comcast.

The house is new. so no wiring problems, had centurylink before.

Contributor

By the way

when i spoke to comcast sales regarding Triple play and the phones, they assured me that comcast does a full install. They even asked me if i wanted phone jacks installed. They also asked me if I wanted to port the numbers, and assured me they could.

This is another lie, because a few weeks before the install, they had to give me new phone numbers and told me they could not port.

Had i known that comcast does not perform full installs, but simply gives you a modem, I would not have switched from centurylink to comcast.

I'ts like entering a restaurant, they show you a menu, you order and pay and then they ask you to cook your own food.

I have a phone install fee on my bill for $20.

What model Vtech do you have? I am quite sure they do not work 100% with comcast residentail modems, apparently you cannot call out. They only work properly with land lines not internet phone.

We also have multiple business accounts in another locations her ein SW florida, but they do not offer TV for home based offices. It would be ridiculous just to get comcast business for two phone lines.

Problem Solver

Go outside to your DEMARC box and make sure the old companies phone wires have been disconnected from your service, this is the number one problem of backfeeding jacks. If your phone jacks worked before, they will still work now if you disconnect old wires at the Demarc Box.

Most equipment works fine with XFINITY Voice, but there are a few products that do not.

The following equipment is known to have a high probability of errors with XFINITY Voice service:

Telephones

• Bang & Olufsen: BeoCom 1
  • Bang & Olufsen: Beocom 2
  • Bang & Olufsen: BeoCom 4
  • Bang & Olufsen: BeoCom 5
  • Bang & Olufsen: BeoCom 1401
  • Southwestern Bell GH4102

Telephone/Caller ID Units

• AT&T 5830
  • AT&T E2727B 2.4 GHz Dual Handset Answering System with Caller ID and Call Waiting
  • GE 21018GE3
  • GE 21028GE3 (with answering machine)
  • GE 25838GE3-A
  • Memorex MPH3388
  • Motorola MD700 Series
  • Motorola MD751
  • Motorola MD761 (with answering machine)
  • MD70
  • Uniden DXAI5188-2 (with answering machine)
    • CIDCW (caller ID with call waiting) functions properly
    • User may hear additional tones and signals after the call waiting indicator tone
    • This is normal for some Uniden phones
  • Uniden EXI5160
    • User may hear additional tones and signals after the call waiting indicator tone
  • Uniden DXI 386-2

Fax Machines

• Hitachi Omni Fax HF18TME

Note: There may be other equipment brands or models that are incompatible with the XFINITY Voice service.