Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast Xfinity Voice and Internet approved modems

New Poster

Comcast Xfinity Voice and Internet approved modems

I currently have the Comcast triple play and have been renting my modem/router combo for over a year. After realizing that the money I spent by renting the modem/router combo could have gone toward purchasing my own modem and router that is better than the one provided. I want to purchase a modem and router that will be compatible with voice and internet. Which modem would you recommend? The ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem but it doesn’t have a phone jack. What modem would you recommend, I’ve looked at the approved list and I am not sure which one to purchase. Please advise.

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS/dp/B00AJHDZSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14...

Problem Solver

Re: Comcast Xfinity Voice and Internet approved mo

At the Comcast approved devices page - http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I have checked - Latest DOCSIS 3.0  &  Only Retail Devices

After doing that I only find 2 modems that appear to support Comcast Telephone service.

1) Arris TG862G  &  2) Arris TM722G

The  Arris TM822G is supposed to be newer and better than the 2 on the approved list. If your local franchise allows it to be used.

The first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center and ask whether or not customer owned modems with phone support are allowed to be used on the local system.

Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from Comcast.

Valued Contributor

The TM722G & TM822G are modems that support phone service, but do not have router capability.  If you get one of those you will need to buy a separte router.

Frequent Visitor

Is Self-Connecting Voice a real problem?

I currently have Triple Play and bought a new Arris TM822G from Amazon. I'd like to just plug it in and activate via internet, but have seen the cautions that state you need a tech to connect the voice line. Since I have a working Comcast voice connection, is there anything a tech really needs to do outside? 

Valued Contributor

Re: Is Self-Connecting Voice a real problem?

If you have working phone service now, then activating the replacement modem will take care of the phone also.  No separate step needed.

Just unplug all of the cables from the old modem and plug them into the replacement mode.

Connection Expert

dadgren wrote:

The first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center and ask whether or not customer owned modems with phone support are allowed to be used on the local system.

Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from Comcast.

Sounds oddly familiar.............

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I just got off the phone with a COMCAST rep. I am installing the TM822G. I've connected the phones but they don't work. The rep said that the TM822G is not a "retail" phone per their acceptable modem list. Someone has their wires crossed. I have two COMCAST phone lines for my business. In the absence of any better ideas I plan to cancel COMCAST phone service. I think I am being B-S ed if you know what I mean.

Connection Expert

FWIW, a Comcast employee recently posted here that the 822 will become officially accepted as a retail device within about a month.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

Perfparjer wrote:

I just got off the phone with a COMCAST rep. I am installing the TM822G. I've connected the phones but they don't work. The rep said that the TM822G is not a "retail" phone per their acceptable modem list. Someone has their wires crossed. I have two COMCAST phone lines for my business. In the absence of any better ideas I plan to cancel COMCAST phone service. I think I am being B-S ed if you know what I mean.

Try again!

Keep trying until someone activates it.

Frequent Visitor

I plugged everything in and everything worked great. Then I returned the old one to the local office. They asked if I was keeping the phone service. I said I was and they said "Good to go." Got home 30 minutes later and no dial tone! I can't wait to hear the excuse. Obviously the hardware worked initially, so they have purposely cut me off. I may well ditch Comcast Voice and go with another internet phone service.

Frequent Visitor

Forget my last. Apparently one of us unplugged the phone line to take a nap. It is working fine. I neglected to say in my last post that I used the online activation process and it worked as advertised for all services for my Amazon delivered, nonretail, TM822G. Comcast.com/activate. It is always better to avoid a Comcast "customer service rep" if at all possible.

Connection Expert

Way to go !

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

singram69 wrote:

Forget my last. Apparently one of us unplugged the phone line to take a nap. It is working fine. I neglected to say in my last post that I used the online activation process and it worked as advertised for all services for my Amazon delivered, nonretail, TM822G. Comcast.com/activate. It is always better to avoid a Comcast "customer service rep" if at all possible.

That sounds like something I've done.

Every time someone says "It's not working" the first thing I always ask is "Is it plugged in?".  Solves the problem about 20% of the time.  Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

My Arris TM822G I purchased from Amazon is working well and seems to be much faster than the one I was renting. It has two phone jacks and is Comcast ready. I activated online.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation