Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast VOice & separate landline

Frequent Visitor

Comcast VOice & separate landline

I note that existing phone service supply must be disconnected at entry to the house to use internal wiring to distribute the phone modem signal to house phone jacks via internal wiring.

I currently have 2 Verizon landlines connected to separate wire pairs in the internal wirng bundle.  One line/wire pair is used in a single RJ11 jack serving a single phone in a fixed location.  The other, different line/wire pair is used by RJ11 lines throughout the house, and it is this line I'd like to use with Comcast Voice.

Since the Verizon service would need to remain connected in order to serve the single phone line, does this mean it's impossible to use Comcast Voice with the other phones via the house's internal wiring?  Would a Comcast installation tech be able to disconnect the Verizon service except for the wire(s) that service the single phone?

I am considering upgrading from Comcast TV & Internet to the Triple Play Premium bundle, but that plan would be a nonstarter if I can't keep the separate single phone landline.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Stanwhjr

PS Curious:  What is a realistic battery life expectancy in terms of talk time and/or standby for the phone modem's battery if fullu charged before a power outage?

Cable Expert

Re: Comcast VOice & separate landline

Any tech that has experience and knows what he's doing can keep the 2 phone lines separated and wire it correctly.  I suggest you try and ask for a Comcast tech for your installation, and not a sub-contractor.

The thing to remember on the eMTA telephony modem, the first line is a RJ14 L1/L2 jack, and the 2nd line on that jack has talk battery on it even if the eMTA is not provisioned for a 2nd line from Comcast.  You need to make sure the cord and wires out of that L1/L2 jack has the 2nd pair isolated, not conntected to any of the inside wiring.  Only the L1 first line pair can be connected to the existing inside wiring in the home to feed the jacks.  That pair would need to be disconnected from the ILEC's drop at the NID. 

Just make sure the tech has the full knowledge to isolate the first line inside wiring and not mess with your second line from the ILEC at the NID.

Test everything before the tech leaves.

The eMTA battery has different size batteries, they are supposed to be at least 4 hours, and some of the larger batteries will go 8 or 12 hours.  If you are prone to power outages, you might want to consider a stand alone computer type standby battery backup for the eMTA's AC power for running longer on battery.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon