Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast Phone Sound Cutting Out Like A Cell Phone...

Regular Visitor

Comcast Phone Sound Cutting Out Like A Cell Phone...

I have had comcast triple play since July of 07. In January of 08 we started experiencing issues with the phone service. At ramdom times the person you are talking to will not be able to hear you but you can hear them. I have also been on the recieving end of this issue having called my number from various locations. It has happened from people calling from various places and carriers. This is what has been done so far:

1. Called comcast and had tech come out the next day. He stated there were several issues. Changed lines inside my home and replaced control box (modem).--- Still no change.

2. Purchased corded phone and tried to see if it was a cordless phone issue on my end. --- Still no change

3. Used 7 different phone jacks and 4 different phones. ---Still no change

4. Called comcast and had tech come out the next day. He stated that there were no issues showing up on thier end. Told me that it was an issue with everyone elses phone that tries to call me??? Ended up replacing the line from the street to the house since that was the only thing left for them to replace. --- Got worse for two days then went back to cutting out the sound on my end.

Over the past 8 years I have lived in this house with no issues from AT&T or Comcast and now all I have is issues. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I am my wits end and ready to switch carriers.Smiley Sad
Regular Visitor

Re: Comcast Phone Sound Cutting Out Like A Cell Phone...

I'm having the same problem. Replaced cordless phones as I thought they were the problem. They weren't. Hooked up a corded phone - same problem random drop outs. Have you gotten any more help from Comcast?

Thanks

Thysell
Regular Visitor

Yes, we have recieved a call from a Senior Tech. I hope to get to the bottom of this issue in the next few days...Smiley Wink
New Poster

Same issue here, too.  Techs have been out 2 times - still no resolve.  Have yet another appt scheduled where the cust service rep promises "3rd time's a charm" - not holding my breath...
Regular Visitor

Well I am officially fed up... I just switched back to AT&T!!!!!! I suggest you all do the same...
Regular Visitor

Had a Tech out in July. He improved the "signal quality" a little bit. It didn't fix the problem.  Got a senior tech coming out Thursday. Let you know how it goes.
Contributor

I am getting the same sympoms here. Very fast flutter and then you can't understand the caller. Only occurs when calls originate from Comcast CDV to the outside. If I call home, all is fine.

I read all the replies in this thread, but there was no resolution.

Anyone figure it out?

Regular Visitor

This sounds symptomatic of a typical VOIP bandwidth issue...   Make sure no computer in the house is connected to the Internet and if the problem still happens - you may have a bandwidth issue to your neighborhood.  It happens here periodically - typically on really cold or rainy days or at night when other comcast customers in my neighborhood are home and downloading movies / web surfing etc..  It's the same Internet connection (Voice Over IP - VOIP) that your computer uses - and that bandwidth is only so wide and can only be split up into segements so small before there are noticeable outages / skips..

I know it doesn't help - but it may at least explain part of the problem..

I work from home a lot and with a lot of other people that use VOIP to do the same.  When we're on a conference call and using something like Netmeeting or Live Meeting, it's really noticeable..

Good luck!

Regards - Randy

New Poster

Re: Comcast Phone Sound Cutting Out Like A Cell Ph

YES. My phone is doing this now. It started a week ago. I can hear everyone fine, but I cut out so much that nobody can understand what I am saying. I switched phones thinking that could be the problem, but it wasn't. I am so fed up with comcast. Nothing but problem after problem now for going on 2 yrs, yet they want $300 each month from us. Not once have they comped us a dime for all of the problems we have had. To me good customer service would say to do that, but not with comcast. I am going to move soon, and I hope that our next place has a good clear of the sky because I am going back to directv. For months my modem was down probably 80% of the time. They "finally" fixed that problem, but then other problems started up. I am just fed up with them at this point.

Cable Expert

Re: Comcast Phone Sound Cutting Out Like A Cell Ph

mkrubsack wrote:

I read all the replies in this thread, but there was no resolution.

Anyone figure it out?

Unfortunately, I've seen this a number of times. When I was a tech I had a several customers for whom I was never able to resolve the problem (still hurts my professional pride). I worked with the best ppl in the system including supervisors and head-end techs - the problems were never resolved.

It's possible that Comcast simply can't offer you reliable phone service.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon