Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast Phone Service, PC to Phone or Phone to PC

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Phone Service, PC to Phone or Phone to PC

I realize from reading other posts that Comcast is not a PC to Phone or Phone to PC service.  However, is it possible to use the Comcast Phone Service AND make calls from my PC.  I have heard (actually from a support technician I spoke with earlier) that it is possible to accomplish. 

My thoughts are as follows:  But would like any advice, guidance, pros / cons, etc., in accomplishing this.  I also have the free version of skype (any skype and Comcast Phone service users out there, if so look me up

1.  I have a modem in my laptop.

Message Edited by Moderator_Jay on 01-02-2008 08:01 AM
Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast Phone Service, PC to Phone or Phone to PC

I accidentally bumped the mouse or a key and the post got posted before I was done.

2.  Just use the dialer with the modem, my thoughts are that it should work, but I can't find the darn phone dialer.
3.  PS:  I'm running xpPro on a Dell laptop with 2gb ram and pleanty of other stuff, etc.

Any advice, experiences, whether this is even doable will be appreciated.
Bronze Problem Solver

VerusTom wrote:
I accidentally bumped the mouse or a key and the post got posted before I was done.

Can't help you with the other questions, but if a post "gets away" before you are done, you can find and open it, then use the "Edit Message" function under "Options" to make changes, rather than creating another post to add the rest.
Email Expert

I'm pretty sure that Comcast Digital Voice does not allow customer PC's to access their VOIP network directly. The eMTA translates the VOIP signal to ordinary analog phone signals, so you can only connect it to devices that plug into a phone jack.

You should be able to connect your laptop's modem to it. If you just want it to automate dialing, that should work fine. It might not work so well if you're actually trying to connect to an online service, though -- the quality of VOIP tends to make high-speed dialups problematic (9600 bps is often recommended).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon