Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cannot set up voicemail

New Poster

Cannot set up voicemail

I am trying to set up voice mail.  I dial *99 and the message says...The mailbox # you are trying to reach is not in service...goodbye.

How do I set up my voicemail??

Regular Contributor

Re: Cannot set up voice mail

Hello Kig816, my apologies for the trouble.  I enabled your voice mail on the system, there are something that are still getting setup in the back end and are not made available right away but your voice mail is now usable. 

Please let me know of anything else I my help with.

Thank you

Comcast Vic.

Thank you
Comcast Vic.
New Poster

I also cannot set up vm, *99 not working

Regular Contributor

Comcast Vic.

Thank you
Comcast Vic.
New Poster

Must be my turn!  I also get the "Sorry - can't set up v-mail - goodbye" message.  How do I set up v-mail?

Many thanks!

New Poster

I am getting the same error message, and I am not getting incoming voice calls. It kind of makes voicemail a moot point.
New Poster

Re: Cannot set up voicemail

I am also having trouble with voicemail setup. Same message: no service. I cannot access online-says I do not have digital voice service. Talked to four Comcast techs today to no avail ... Help!
New Poster

So I logged my post about not being able to set up v-mail back on May 9th.  Today - June 12th - I get a response from the Forum saying "Thanks for sharing your concern with us.  The Forums team has been made aware of your issue."

Wow - over a month later I get acknowledgement of the issue.

Pitiful...

New Poster

I cannot set up my voicemail either. It gives me the same message and it's been about 2 weeks. Can you have someone to fix this issue for me please ?

New Poster

message "the mailbox you are trying to reach is not available" has been what MY callers have BEEN hearing for months  i give up on this feature and an easy fix

New Poster

Did comcast open a ticket for you on this issue?

Contributor

I was having trouble finding the correct procedures to setup voicemail and after reading some replies here I got it to work! I set up a pin # online and then used the *99 option and connected fine. Thank you!

Contributor

Editing my own post. I missed the editing option once it is posted...sorry.  The method I used to get my voicemail started was the *99 and then followed the prompts. The PIN setup mentioned actually was the 'security setup' option that seems to have now been transferred to the voicemail prompt on my phone... I can access voicmail using the *99 , but when I try to just use the voicemail option on my phones menu it trys to dial the security key number ?? oh-well..back to manual dialing I guess Smiley Happy

New Poster

I'm getting the same message. Comcast has given me nothing but issues
New Poster

I am having the same problem set up my voicemail. The mailbox you are trying to reach is not in service or sometime it will say mail box full.  please help I have been trying to set this up several months.

New Poster

After comcast disconnected all of my services in error (their error) - I lost ALL of my voicemail messages I had saved, many of which were from my Mother who recently passed away!  :*-(  Now that they have restored my services, I cannot set up my voicemail at all.  I am getting that same message saying: The mailbox  you are trying to reach is not in service...goodbye...

Please correct this at your earliest convenience.  Thank you!

Tami L-S...

New Poster

I am also getting "The mailbox # you are trying to reach is not in service...goodbye."

Can I get my vmail enabled?

New Poster

I am also getting "The mailbox # you are trying to reach is not in service...goodbye."

Can I get my vmail enabled?

New Poster

Hi,

I get the exact same response, when setting up my voicemail. I'm surprised that so many people are having the same issue. Wy doesn't Comcast fix this issue from the get go. Why do we have to call in or post in a forum to get it resolved.

Ether way, I'd really appreciate it if someone can please help me set up my voicemail ASAP.

Thanks
New Poster

Can I get my vmail enabled? I have people RSVP in to this number.
New Poster

IM trying to set up my voice maill by pressing *99 and all im getting is that mail box is not active good bye W>T>F is up with that ?

New Poster

Sad. I was on the phone for hours trying to get someone that knew what was going on. Eventually I gave up. This company is the worst I have ever dealt with over the phone. It is scary how many people I talked to that had no clue what they were doing.  

New Poster

When I put in *99 it says: mailbox # you are trying to reach is not in service - goodbye.  It does not give me the option to set it up.  How do I get to do this?

Klg816 wrote:

I am trying to set up voice mail.  I dial *99 and the message says...The mailbox # you are trying to reach is not in service...goodbye.

New Poster

I am trying to set up my VM and am having trouble

Service Expert

sharonwright wrote:

When I put in *99 it says: mailbox # you are trying to reach is not in service - goodbye.  It does not give me the option to set it up.  How do I get to do this?

Klg816 wrote:

Call into COmcast... ( I know, it's the last thing you want to do ) but it would seem that you need to have Comcast look at your account and make sure your account is provisioned correctly with the proper codes.... that's all it takes!!!

Good Luck!
-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Service Expert

wlosee wrote:

You will need to call into Comcast and make sure thay have VOICEMAIL encoded in your account.... if you are a new customer it can take up to 72 hours before you can do this.... quite frankly, I would wait as right now with the X1 outtages nationwide, the CSR's are backed up.... you will wait on hold for hours!!!!

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

i guess i have to wait.i have answer machine just use that i guess.

Frequent Visitor

you were right had to call. they did not have my code in. its in now and they will have my voice mail working in 24 hrs. thanks.

Service Expert

wlosee wrote:

you were right had to call. they did not have my code in. its in now and they will have my voice mail working in 24 hrs. thanks.

Maeking my answer as a SOLUTION and giving KUDOS is always appreciated!!!  

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Please walk me through set up  of voice mail... I also will be having two separate phones changed over to xfinity today, what is the process to have and set up voice mail

thanks

New Poster

I too get the "not in service goodbye" message. Called Comcast and was told that I needed to log into my vm and turn off the extended absence feature. No matter How many times I tried to explain that I can NOT log into my vm to do anything with it, she could not understand
New Poster

I also cannot set up my voicemail and am getting the same message. 

Service Expert

melissaosu wrote:

I also cannot set up my voicemail and am getting the same message. 

Is this new service?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Same issue. Tech did something with modem and said it would work, but dialing *99 this time just went dead. Before calls just went to my phone answering machine...don't even do that now. I think I will refresh and try again tomorrow :-).

Regular Visitor

Since May of 2012 Comcast has had the same problem of not activating the VOICE mail so the

user can set it up by using *99. What is going on Comcast?

New Poster

All feedback I've received says Comcast customer service needs to turn the feature on at their end...I'm having the same issue...sheesh.  

Good luck!

New Poster

I'm getting the same message! Oh Comcast ... please help me!

Service Expert

StoneCottage wrote:

I'm getting the same message! Oh Comcast ... please help me!

Call into Comcast and tell the CSR that VM is not enabled on your service... the CSR can then add the proper rate codes to get this activated.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Cannot set up voicemail

good morning.  i went through *99 procedure and set up everything.  but, I want our answering machine to take messages and not xfinity.  so, i set up the no of rings on the answering machine to 4 and went to xfinity - email - preferences - voice and set up our phone to pick up at 9 rings.  a comcast agent told me that her test call proved that the system works.  so, i had my neighbour call me and she rang, 4 rings and then the message "the message box you are calling is not set up come on".  The same thing happened when i called myself on skype. 

any suggestions will be welcome. 

ranga1

Service Expert

ranga1 wrote:

good morning.  i went through *99 procedure and set up everything.  but, I want our answering machine to take messages and not xfinity.  so, i set up the no of rings on the answering machine to 4 and went to xfinity - email - preferences - voice and set up our phone to pick up at 9 rings.  a comcast agent told me that her test call proved that the system works.  so, i had my neighbour call me and she rang, 4 rings and then the message "the message box you are calling is not set up come on".  The same thing happened when i called myself on skype. 

any suggestions will be welcome. 

ranga1

If you just set this up today/yesterday, it can take from 24 to 72 hours for all back-end sevices to synch up....try this later today and again tomorrow and see if the synch has taken place.   If still a no-go, then call back into Comcast and inform the CSR of the error.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Dear Geek46,

Thanks for your help. I shall wait 

Anyway, I was curious to find out where in the Xfinity software I could set up the no of rings.  After much searching, it seems as though some version of the software allowed the user the set up the no of rings.  In that version, here is what is supposed to happen [according to the online manual]

Xfinity.com - email - preferences - voice - advanced call forwarding

This is supposed to bring up a split screen, the upper part allowing user to set the no of rings before voice mail pick up, the lower part allows the user to define 4 tel nos to which calls to the Xfinity phone can be routed and the no of rings after which the remote phone will ring.

In my version of software [said to be the latest version], the upper screen does not appear.  All I see is the call forwarding part. 

Just reporting what seems to be a bug.

cheers

ranga1

Service Expert

ranga1 wrote:

Dear Geek46,

Thanks for your help. I shall wait 

Anyway, I was curious to find out where in the Xfinity software I could set up the no of rings.  After much searching, it seems as though some version of the software allowed the user the set up the no of rings.  In that version, here is what is supposed to happen [according to the online manual]

Xfinity.com - email - preferences - voice - advanced call forwarding

This is supposed to bring up a split screen, the upper part allowing user to set the no of rings before voice mail pick up, the lower part allows the user to define 4 tel nos to which calls to the Xfinity phone can be routed and the no of rings after which the remote phone will ring.

In my version of software [said to be the latest version], the upper screen does not appear.  All I see is the call forwarding part. 

Just reporting what seems to be a bug.

cheers

ranga1

There is no software application for this process, as it is done online only through Comcast web pages....   log into your account online and goto:  https://pf.connect.comcast.net/OptimusPref/prefs/voice

The fact that you cannot see all of the features does indeed mean the backend has not synched up yet.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks a lot.  I will just wait

New Poster

I am trying to set up voice mail. I dial *99 and the message says...The mailbox # you are trying to reach is not in service...goodbye
Service Expert

Sunny304 wrote:
I am trying to set up voice mail. I dial *99 and the message says...The mailbox # you are trying to reach is not in service...goodbye

If this was new service, it can take from 24 to 72 hours for all back-end services to fully come online...   if this time has already elapsed, call Comast @ 1-800-266-2278 and speak with a CSR about your VM not in service.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

I am having the same problem, my phone will show that I have a voicemail but I cannot get to it.

Service Expert

jv2010 wrote:

I am having the same problem, my phone will show that I have a voicemail but I cannot get to it.

If you mean you hear the stutter tone, or see a message waiting indicator and when accessing VM it syasy you have none, you may be experiencing the "phantom"....  To resolve this, call your home number for a different phone and leave a VM to yourself.  From your homephone, retrieve the VM you left and delete it.  This will clear the pahntom indicator and stutter tone.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

I can't set it up either.

Service Expert
Moved:

Post Moved to create new topic for escalation purposes.