Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cannot receive faxes on HP Officejet 6700

Frequent Visitor

Cannot receive faxes on HP Officejet 6700

I have a HP Officejet 6700 All-in-one printer and can send faxes, but I haven't been able to receive a fax.  I have my rings set to 9 before voicemail answers, and I have a phone on the same line that has an answering machine. 

The phone line connected to the Officejet 6700 connects to a splitter which is plugged into the phone wall jack.  The other line on the splitter connects to the phone with the answering system.  Is there any setting I have to make with Comcast voice to allow me to receive faxes?  I've opened a question with HP support to determine if there is something I overlooked with my fax setup for the Officejet.  The Officejet fax test says everything is good, but I failed to receive a fax last night.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Gary

Service Expert

Re: Cannot receive faxes on HP Officejet 6700

ggibas45 wrote:

I have a HP Officejet 6700 All-in-one printer and can send faxes, but I haven't been able to receive a fax.  I have my rings set to 9 before voicemail answers, and I have a phone on the same line that has an answering machine. 

The phone line connected to the Officejet 6700 connects to a splitter which is plugged into the phone wall jack.  The other line on the splitter connects to the phone with the answering system.  Is there any setting I have to make with Comcast voice to allow me to receive faxes?  I've opened a question with HP support to determine if there is something I overlooked with my fax setup for the Officejet.  The Officejet fax test says everything is good, but I failed to receive a fax last night.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Gary

Set the number of rings for the FAX to 4, set the VM rings to 6...  this will enable the FAX to answer the call 2 rings before the call is forwarded to the VM system....  unfortunately, the FAX machine will not recognize a human caller and will answer regardless of who or what is calling....  this will also render your VM system inoperable....  It is best to get a 2nd line and dedicate it to FAX services only..

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Cannot receive faxes on HP Officejet 6700

Ray,

Thanks for the help.  The HP forum provided the same information about changing the number of rings.  I gave them some fax settings, and they noticed that distinctive rings had been set to double.  According to them, distinctive rings should only be set if the phone supplier uses them for faxes.  I've changed it to All Rings, and I hope to do a test later today.

In the past when I used the fax a lot, I had a separate line for it.  Now I use the fax mostly for sending and only use it once or twice a month; at most.  If my usage increases, I'll get a separate line for it.

Gary