Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cannot receive calls

New Poster

Cannot receive calls

I have a dial tone and can make calls but incoming calls go directly to voicemail. After browsing through this forum, it seems this is rather common problem yet when I contacted Comcast the rep I spoke with could not offer a solution. Instead, I was told that the problem would have to be addressed by someone else and I was given a ticket number. I was told I would hear back from someone but if he told me when that would be I didn't hear it....but that could have been because I was having some difficulty understanding his accent. I have not heard back from anyone but it's only been several hours.

I have tried all of the simple diagnostics like resetting the modem (multiple times), plugging in a different telephone, changing the number of rings for voicemail, etc. The tech who installed the modem last week plugged the phone line into Tel2 on the back of the modem and another line from the jack splitter into Tel1. If I try switching the lines between Tel1 and Tel2 and/or I do not connect the second line into Tel2, I get no service whatsoever. Regardless of how I connect the lines, the Tel2 light on the front of the modem does not light <-- I mentioned that to the phone rep but he didn't seem to think that was an issue? The only way I get a dial tone is if the home phone line is plugged into Tel2 and the second cord from the splitter is plugged into Tel1....but that only allows me to dial out, incoming calls go directly to voicemail.

I am betting that there is probably a simple solution to this....especially after seeing how common the problem is. It would be nice if Comcast had a more expanded version of the online troubleshooting section that addresses some of these more common problems.

New Poster

Re: Cannot receive calls

This is exactly what happened to us only it took us three days to realize why we are not receiving any calls. I do

Ind it outrageous that our phone was simply switched over without notice. My husband's business relys on receiving calls and who knows how many clients we missed?

Thank you.

Rockeey wrote:

I have a dial tone and can make calls but incoming calls go directly to voicemail. After browsing through this forum, it seems this is rather common problem yet when I contacted Comcast the rep I spoke with could not offer a solution. Instead, I was told that the problem would have to be addressed by someone else and I was given a ticket number. I was told I would hear back from someone but if he told me when that would be I didn't hear it....but that could have been because I was having some difficulty understanding his accent. I have not heard back from anyone but it's only been several hours.

I have tried all of the simple diagnostics like resetting the modem (multiple times), plugging in a different telephone, changing the number of rings for voicemail, etc. The tech who installed the modem last week plugged the phone line into Tel2 on the back of the modem and another line from the jack splitter into Tel1. If I try switching the lines between Tel1 and Tel2 and/or I do not connect the second line into Tel2, I get no service whatsoever. Regardless of how I connect the lines, the Tel2 light on the front of the modem does not light <-- I mentioned that to the phone rep but he didn't seem to think that was an issue? The only way I get a dial tone is if the home phone line is plugged into Tel2 and the second cord from the splitter is plugged into Tel1....but that only allows me to dial out, incoming calls go directly to voicemail.

I am betting that there is probably a simple solution to this....especially after seeing how common the problem is. It would be nice if Comcast had a more expanded version of the online troubleshooting section that addresses some of these more common problems.

New Poster

The puzzling thing is that if my mother-in-law calls our house, the phone rings and functions just fine. She also has Comcast Voice so that pretty much confirms that the problem isn't my phone or the wiring in the house. My guess is that it has something to do with the new TC8305 modem that was installed last week.

I haven't heard back from Comcast yet but it's only been 33 hours since I placed initial call and I was told today that it could take 3 days before I hear from someone. 

Contributor

Hello, your modem lost its provisioning. Comcast needs to re provision your modem so that all inbound calls are recieved. easy fix if you get the right person who knows what they are doing. Wrong person will setup an appointment for a tech to come out to basically call in to have the modem reprovisioned. good luck
New Poster

i too have had the same problem my phone started just giving just 1 ring on Oct.2 around 5pm i thought i was just getting alot of hang up calls because i was in and out that day the next day the same thing happened and a realized there must be a problem with the phone so i called my mother and ask her to call my number it rang once then i noticed i had a voice mail checked it and it was her i then called comcast where it took several tries to even speak to someone i kept getting a busy signal and disconnected then i reached someone who told me he was going to try a few things was put on hold and i do not have a cell so i have no other number for them to call he came back told me he was going to try one more thing and if that did not work they would have someone come out then i was put on hold and the call was dropped i then got a voice mail that someone would be out on Sunday Oct 5 at 5:30 well i had plans so i called back i was then told it needed to be handled without someone coming out  and was given a ticket # and told it would be resolved within 24 to 48 hours and that they would cancel the appointment then i got a voice mail on Sat Oct 4 to confirm the appointment so i called again i was told there was no appointment scheduled this 10 minutes after the voice mail and was told my ticket was still open and then my call got disconnected so today i waited till it had been well past the 48 hours i was told and called because my phone is still not fixed and i called and now i am told they need to send someone out but can't tell me why and when i ask to speak to a supervisor was told none were avilabile and ended up again with a dropped call so i called again i was told my ticket was closed out and i again ask to speak to a supervisor and was told to hold for one and after 1hour and 15 minutes i gave up and hung up the phone now i am disabled and so is my mother and i have kids i need them to be able to call me but can't seem to be able to get any help from comcast feeling very let down as a customer of there's for 8 years 

Contributor

yup your modem is bad. need to swap it out. you can take it in to a comcast payment center or have a tech come to replace it.
New Poster

i can call out on it fine and my Internet and all is working and i have only had this one about a year it did this one time before and my mom's and my sister in law's has done the same thing before and with mine before and there's after fussing with them it was fixed 

Contributor

seen it before, the part of the main computer board that controls the incoming ringtone is bad. Swap it out and all will be fine.
New Poster

thanks will try it at my wits end it's like these people just keep giving me the run around 

New Poster

trustme wrote:
Hello, your modem lost its provisioning. Comcast needs to re provision your modem so that all inbound calls are recieved. easy fix if you get the right person who knows what they are doing. Wrong person will setup an appointment for a tech to come out to basically call in to have the modem reprovisioned. good luck

This is precisely what was wrong. Once the technician re-provisioned my modem, everything was working just fine. Fortunately, I did not need to have a technician come to my home to accomplish this rather simple repair.