Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cannot Get Phone Jacks Working

New Poster

Cannot Get Phone Jacks Working

I have an ARRIS TM602G cable modem that has been working fine for a few years now.  I have recently changed my phone system in my house, and need the phone jacks to work instead of going from the modem straight to a phone.

The house is only six years old, so I'm hoping that the internal wiring is just fine.  However, when I attempt to back-feed the telephone line from the Tel 1/2 Jack on the modem to the house line, I cannot get any other jacks in the house to work.  When the phone is plugged directly into the modem, everything works fine.

I am using a two-wire telephone cord from the modem to the wall, which is the same cord I was using from the modem to the phone.  

Aside from the internal wiring in the house being a problem, what else could cause this?  There are no connections outside the house for another phone company as I've used Comcast since the house was built, so there is no outside voltage coming in.  I've tried the Tel Line 2 jack on the modem as well, but no luck there since I don't have a second phone line.

Official Employee

Re: Cannot Get Phone Jacks Working

Check the nid probably at the side of your house, it's where all your phone lines are tied. See if the phone lines there add up to the jacks you have and without proper toning equipment it would be trial and error to fix it yourself. It might be quicker to bight the bullet and have a tech out

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon