Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't send fax from Epson through Xfinity modem

Frequent Visitor

Can't send fax from Epson through Xfinity modem

I used to be able to send faxes from my EPSON WF3540 printer through my old comcast modem.  Now that I have upgraded to the new SMC modem from Xfinity, the modem resets every time it tries to connect.  The printer gets a dial tone, dials the number, rings a few times, then when it tries to connect, the modem resets.  The power light remains on, and it goes through the startup sequence to connect to the internet and phone.  Comcast is going to send a technician out, but maybe someone else knows what is going on.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't send fax from Epson through Xfinity mode

So I found another post from someone who suggested slowing down the fax speed and turning off ECM.  So I reduced the fax speed to 9600 and turned ECM off.  I successfully sent the fax.

This seems pretty silly to have to slow down the fax speed, so I decided to try some things.

I started sending faxes to "faxtoy.net".  You can send faxes to the number on their website, then view the received fax on their website.  You can also delete the fax from their website afterwards.  Great way to test your faxing.

Anyway, I was able to send faxes successfully with both the slow and fast settings without a problem. 

So I don't know if my problem was with the place I was sending the fax to originally.  I'm not going to bug them again with trying to send a fax.  I cancelled my appt with comcast, and I will just try to remember what happened the next time I need to send a fax if something goes wrong.

New Poster

How did you set it up? I have the 3640 I just bought 3 days ago and for the life of me I can not get the fax to work at all. This is beyond frustrating. Any input will help.

Frequent Visitor

Not a lot of information to go on from your reply to know where you are having a problem.

I send all my faxes from the printer itself and not through the computer to the printer.  I would get that working first.

First try to send a fax to "faxtoy.net", see website for phone number.  Maybe you are just having trouble with a specific fax machine you are sending to.  Maybe you can get a fax through to faxtoy without a problem.

If you are having a dial tone problem, you're epson printer is probably not properly connected to the phone line, in which case you have to solve that problem first.  I connect mine directly into the Tel 1 port on the xfinity modem.

If you can hear the printer dialing and ringing, you probably have everything connected correctly.

Printer should show "Connecting" after the receiving fax picks up.  If it dies then, you may have had the same problem i had.  in that case, the lights on my xfinity modem go off and the modem resets.

To solve this problem, i went to the printer display, selected the left arrow to get to the "setup" option, selected "setup", scrolled down to "fax settings", selected that, selected "communication", turned ECM off, changed fax speed to 9600, and tried my fax again.  that time it worked.  I reset those settings later when I was playing with faxtoy.net.

Epson installs a "fax utility" program on your computer.  You can try running that (if using windows 8, use the search option on your start menu and enter fax utility).  that can test the phone connection and can help you determine if there is a problem sending a fax from your computer through the printer. good luck