New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't get my old number ported

New Poster

Can't get my old number ported

Where do I begin:

My less than great experince with COMCAST began with the first phonecall to ask about pricing and comparative rates from my old service to Comcast.  Cutting to the heart of this issue, the first time I called, the sales rep told me that all would be good and the I could port my old number over - provided me with a service ticket and I thought I was on my way.  I was going to get a new modem and new HD box and have my phone and internet and TV all in one.  Problem is with the phone: Not even remotely happy with the phone portion of this switch.  

Following my initial chat with the sales rep, I called back to my 'old" <still have it> phone service provider to ask when would be a good time to cut off their service.  We discussed the phone port process <talking to my "previous' provider> and they checked to make sure that there were no issues,  no blocks, no hold or other.  I knew there would not be and they confirmed this fact.  

Fast forward to the day of my install.  The tech arrived and he thinks, first of all, that he is only there to swap out my cable box.  His ticket is all wrong.  A few phone calls later and he notes that he will add the new modem and the phone service.  Now - back up one hour prior to the tech's arrival.  I call again to Comcast -- oh wait - this is where I mention that I had also received three calls to confirm the appointment - which I did each time - only to get another one the day of the appointment despite that fact that I just did less than 6 hours earlier.. but I digress.

So, the hour prior to the tech arrival and the day of my install....  I call Comcast again and speak to a rep physically located in Mexico.  Nice guy, he listens to my concern that I have not heard back about my ported number request.  He says he understands and states that the first rep I talked to did something wrong and should have told me about the 'digital' line and rate center and added that he would re-submit by ticket to get my phone porter.  Oh - and I also did my third party verification <THREE TIMES>.  So -- I now have a number I did not want and I called again today to speak to yet another rep who told me that all the others were wrong and that I could not have my number ported due to the rate center? and not being able to.  I told her that there was no lock on my number and that I called Embarq/Century Link and that they had even advised that I speak to a Manager as this was odd.   Long story short --- the rep at Comcast today said she saw where I spoke to someone yesterday who resubmitted my port request and then proceeded to tell me that she was sorry that the rep should have told me that it was not possible.  I call back to Embarq and they again assured me that it was.  I called back again to Comcast, specifically the port processing foks who again told me they had no record of my third party verification.  I did it AGAIN, and am waiting for the porting person to call me back.  

This is very frustrating.  A letter into the BBB and FCC at this point may be in order based on everything I read to date on how poor the Comcast phone service  issues are.

I have talked with countless customer service reps and perhaps (dont know for sure) one supervisor that was going to take care of everything and call me back.  So far,  no call back from the supervisor.  Again,  I have taken off work, tried to kind to the install person who did not plan to be at my house as long as he was, contemplated my decision to switch service and do not know why this has become such as issue.  I sounds like a bait and switch.  Once Comcast has me I am left to my own to figure out who to call and deal with the run around.  Again -- my "old" <since I have yet to cut off the service while waiting to get my number ported" phone provider says there are no holds on my account to prevent porting, but Comcast keeps going down the digital and rate center speel with no resolution in sight.  

What a nightmare.

Hind sight being 20/20 I would not do this again.

Customer service, the automated Comcast phone service is dreadful.  What a way to run a company.

Valued Contributor

Re: Can't get my old number ported

I am not sure if this is the case or not but I do know phone numbers can not be ported outside of their rate center. A 'rate center' is the FCC's saying which phone numbers belong to which cities. It is basically a grid set up....Phone numbers to land mass and which ones can go where. It makes sure you don't have a CA prefix in Ohio ( and like situations). If you are in the same house where you have had this phone number before one of the companies (Comcast or Embarq) probably has your phone number associated with the wrong rate center in their system so it is 'clashing' when the workers put in to 'send it over'. The key is to figure out which company is in the wrong and to get them to fix it. A regular worker on the phone is NOT going to be able to fix this for you, you will need to have the 'behind the scenes' people fix it. How you contact them though I have no clue

Regular Contributor

You might try emailing Comcast at we_can_help@cable.comcast.com because they are sometimes able to help people in situations like these.

New Poster

So much for customer service.  I spoke to a supervisor who said he could not document the issue... had no ability to resolve the problem and was basically worthless.  Oh he just repeated the same ole issue.  the rate center is the issue.... and had no way to offer any resolution.  Add insult to injury, my phone went dead and the guy who came out to fix it said it was a bad outside connection...funny the guy who did the install was just here last week and I have never had a bad connection up until now and yes, there is more -- now my TV blinks or flips while on HD channels.  Can wait to see what happens next.  Hello customer service -- ?????