Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't Set Up Voice Mail

Contributor

Can't Set Up Voice Mail

Just got Digital Voice service this week. The installer asked if I wanted voice mail installed then and said I could set it up later, if I wanted.

AFter he left, I decided I did want it. I followed the instructions in the manual to dial my own phone number. I got a busy signal, instead of the menu to set up voice mail. I called in and got a trouble ticket generated, but was also told it could take 48 to 72 hours for voice mail to be available for access after a new installation and to wait until then to see if it was working. It wasn't.

Still got a busy signal instead of the setup. So called back and found the trouble ticket had been closed. The guy also said he would reset my account password and that would fix things. I was unclear to me how this would help, as he was talking about my main account password, which was working fine for Internet. I'd never gotten far enough to set up a password for voice mail. That didn't work, so he began checking other things and eventually said it would have to escalate the problem and that I'd be called back within 48 to 72 hours.

I haven't reached that limit yet, but had a disconcerting thing happen just now. I got a followup call from Comcast, asking how my installation went. The call was dropped in the middle! If access to my number is dropped, it wouldn't be a problem, if the caller were routed to my voice mail. However, I don't have voice mail. The woman on the follow up call did mention trying *99 to set up voice mail. I didn't get a busy signal, but instead a message saying: We're sorry, but the service you're trying to use is not available on this line.

That brings up a new question. There are 2 phone lines at the outlet - one that had been for ATT and the other one dating back to when SBC required other DSL companies to run their own separate phone line. I'd told the tech about this.

Would hooking into the old DSL line, instead of the telephone line, create this problem?

Sorry to be so long winded on this, but wanted to present all the details in case they were relevant.

Message Edited by grouch92 on 02-24-2008 12:06 PM
Contributor

Re: Can't Set Up Voice Mail

Within minutes of pressing the Send key on this message, I got a call from tech support. The tech deleted the voice mail box and re-enabled it. It's working now.