Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can not break dial tone

New Poster

Can not break dial tone

Recently switched from AT&T to Voice with 2 different phone number lines.  I can not break dial tone now on line 1 with my Panasonic Wireless system (KX-TG6702 base with 3 handsets).   Can't break dial tone means the dial tone is constant, even when dialing. Therefore, the call will not go out.  Note: When touch tone phones 1st came out many years ago, a similar problem would have been because the Polarity was reversed on the phone lines. 

I am using 2 seperate phone line cords from the modem to the Panasonic base unit.  However, when I plug in a different corded AT&T phone into the #1 line's port on the modem, I can break the dial tone & can then make a call out.  

I have Filed 3 case #'s, including tech coming to check it out.  Once here, he ran test & stated its the phone's problem.

They have tried everything but replacing modem, (Xfinity supplied ARRIS TM822G/CT).

1) Are there any solutions to resolving this?

2) Is there a quality cordless phone system which WILL work with this modem?

3) I am even willing to go down to just one line if this will resolve the problem.  For now, I have used the corded phone to Call Forward the 1st line to the 2nd line.

Cable Expert

Re: Can not break dial tone

If your using two separate phone cords to the cordless base, then make sure you are using only a 2 wire phone cord on the L1/L2 jack on the eMTA telephony modem.

If the phone has a RJ14 2 line jack, then you don't need the 2nd phone cord, since the L1/L2 jack has both line 1 and line 2 on it.  If you add the second cord and the first cord is a 4 wire cord, then your have both L2 on the 2nd pair, and L2 on the first pair on the L2 jack on the eMTA, whic might be shorting out the 2 lines.

On the eMTA the L1/L2 jack is wired as a RJ14 jack with both lines, line 1 on the center 2 conductors, line 2 on the 2nd and 4th conductors.   The L2 jack is the 2nd line only wired as a RJ11 jack with the second line on the center 2 conductors.

Modern electronic phones also have polarity guards built in, so the polarity of the phone and jacks is no longer a issue, unless a older touch tone phone is involved.  A simple LED telephone tester always confirms the proper polarity of the jack.

If your using two phone cords, then the cord on line 1 must be a 2 wire cord like this one.

2wire.PNG

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Can not break dial tone

I removed both phone line cords.  Then took a 4 wire phone cord and plugged it into the L1/L2 jack on the eMTA and the other end into the L1/L2 on the cordless base unit.  I also recycled the modem.

Unfortunately, it has made no difference.

Note: When I dial the phone number for Line 1 from Line 2, they can hear my voice but I can not hear them speak.