Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can I stop telemarketers?

Regular Visitor

Can I stop telemarketers?

I registered our numbers on the National Do Not Call List but we still have telemarketers calling everyday, more than once a day!  How can I stop them!?  My neighbor has a recording, before it rings in their house, saying if you are a telemarketer hang up and add their number to the do not call list.  Does comcast have something like that?

Retired Administrator

Re: Can I stop telemarketers?

Are those calls coming from Comcast, other telemarketers, or a combination of both?

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

It's everyone under the moon!

Retired Administrator

I can have you added to Comcast's DNC list to prevent future calls from us. That process takes about 30 days. If you continue to receive calls from others, I would suggest visiting the National Do Not Call Registry site to file a complaint if 31 days have passed since you registered your telephone number. You may also change your telephone number and ask that it not be published for an additional fee.

Can you email a link to this thread and the telephone number Comcast is calling. I'd like to get the process started for you.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Bronze Problem Solver

There's another method I began using a number of years ago.  Just stop answering the phone!  Simple, and amazingly liberating.  I modified our machine's outgoing message to say that if necessary, we would return the call.  And it's fascinating to watch people's reactions when you ignore the ringing phone.  They get all nervous and antsy! 

Email Expert

I just wait for the answering machine to pick up, and then listen to hear if it's a real call or a telemarketer. But I rarely get real calls, so I don't often have to explain to the caller that I'm screening them.

Then again, I'm on the national DNC list, and it seems to work for me. Most of the robocalls I get are from places that are exempt from the DNC law: charities, political parties, and companies I do business with (e.g. Verizon trying to get me to upgrade to FiOS).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Regular Visitor

I have adopted your method and bought a machine to put in my house (vs. the cable co.).  Thanks!!  I have taken it a step further and turned the ringer off so I don't even hear the phone ring...only when someone is speaking on the machine!  Ah, some peace!    Thanks everyone!

New Poster

Have some fun with them. Create your own survey with about 6 questions to ask them before they start their spiel.

"Before we get started, I'd like to engage you in a research project we are conductin in this household:"

"How long have you been a telemarketer?"

"Do you find the work rewarding?"

"On the average how many rejections do you get before you sell something?"  

"what are yuor preferred work hours?"

" Would you be willing to participate in an ongoing study of telemarketers?"

"can you give me a good number to contact you for follow up?"

It's kind of fun to have them hang up on YOU Smiley Happy

Regular Visitor

Within a few days of activating Comcast Voice I was innundated with telemarketing calls. I called Comcast to complain. And asked them not to sell my number to telemarketers. They said "fine, it's $3.00 per month to have your number unlisted". Man, that's chutzbah! I find this service pretty useless due to the volume of telemarketing call I receive. I keep the ringer turned off.

Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, it's practically the "norm" to have to pay extra to be either unlisted or non-published.  There IS a difference, or at least there used to be in the Ma Bell landline world.  "Unlisted" meant it was not printed but one could get the number from information.  "Non-published" meant it was not printed, nor was it available through information.

I abhor telemarketers, politician calls and robo/survey calls !!!!!!!!!!!!  My suggestions are:

1.  Get a new telephone number ASAP.  There is huge money to businesses by selling/renting/sharing personal information.  Just changing the status to Non-Pub won't do a thing about the folks/businesses who already have it.

2.  Request the old number get a "disconnected" recording.  Usually there are three options:  (a) the number xxx-xxxx has been changed to xxx-xxxxx (eww, don't allow that); (b) the number has been changed to a non-published number (eww again: will encourage telemarketers to try to find you); and (c) "the number has been disconnected" (best choice).

3.  Be judicious about giving out your number.  Credit bureaus love to sell information, etc.

4.  Do Not Call lists.  Register your NEW number with http://www.donotcall.gov
ALSO, be sure to request to be on the Comcast do not call lists -- internally and externally

I would highly recommend that you either send a private message to the Comcast employee (name in RED) who posted earlier in this thread about your situation; and/or send an email to

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Please include all of the following in your email:
Service address
The full name on your account
Home phone number & an alternate number where you can be reached if possible
Your Comcast Account number
A link to this Thread
A detailed description of the problem

One last thing:  there is a super great device called CallerID with RingController that will block virtually ANY call.  It can be programmed to block an entire area code, or specific phone number. 

Good luck.

Thank you so much for all your advice!