Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can I purchase eMTA equipment? Where?

Contributor

Can I purchase eMTA equipment? Where?

I just upgraded my cable service to include digital voice today.  When they came out to install it, they removed my Motorola 6120 DOCSIS 3 modem and installed an Arris TM502 eMTA which is not DOCSIS 3.  So now I've lost my Speed Boost and dropped my speed in half.  The tech said I can't buy an eMTA (or maybe that they don't sell them) but I've seen some people reference getting them at a Best Buy that has Comcast service in them.  My local BB does not (Elizabethtown, KY).  I prefer to not rent my hardware and also would like to get my DOCSIS 3 modem back.  Is there somewhere I can purchase this?  If so, what is the best brand/model and rough pricing?

Thanks,

Eric

Cable Expert

Re: Can I purchase eMTA equipment? Where?

You can use the eMTA just for phone and keep your 6120 for HSI, but you would still rent the eMTA at it's monthly fee.

Here is the LINK for what select Best Buy's sell the Arris TM722G eMTA.  None are in Kentucky (a few in TN), and this is a local market decision.  This program has been going for a little over a year.  This list does get updated from time to time.

For others, these are stores with Comcast Connection centers in them staffed by Comcast sales reps, not all BB's are included.  Look for the Comcast rep in the black or red shirt hanging out in the TV dept. 

Here's a LINK to contact your local region to voice your concern.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

Rough pricing....If you are able to buy one in your market, the TM722G is about $150, then add to that a paid tech visit to install it, which is arranged with the in store rep at time of purchase.

Contributor

Just as a follow up on this issue.  I chatted with a Comcast Internet Technician last night and they gave me several brands and models of approved eMTA's that I can use.  The Tech says the Comcast website may not have the updated list and that he could provide me the latest list.  They are as follows:

Motorola - SBV5220 or SBV6220

Cisco/Scientific Atlanta - DPC2203 / 2203C2

Thompson/RCA - DHG536

Ubee - DVM3202B

I'm planning to purchase one in the near future unless there is something you know that I do not.  The Tech said I should have no problem returning my rental and provisioning on of these at my local office.

Silver Problem Solver

Up until now, the only eMTA modem that you can purchase has been the Arris TM722G. As said above this is only available from BestBuy with a Comcast Connection Center or rep in the store. Even then, some Comcast markets don't allow customer owned eMTA's.

Of course things can change, but I'd be very cautious about buying anything else.

Contributor

So your suggestion is that the Comcast rep either didn't know what they were talking about or made this up and lied to me. How would I verify it is correct if I can't trust what their techs are telling me. I have the chat session saved for future reference.
Thx
Silver Problem Solver

BigMc71 wrote:
So your suggestion is that the Comcast rep either didn't know what they were talking about or made this up and lied to me.
I'm not saying the guy was wrong, I said "things can change"
How would I verify it is correct if I can't trust what their techs are telling me.
Personally, I'd go to my local Comcast office and see what they allow.
I have the chat session saved for future reference.
Thx
That's just the way things have worked up until now, good luck with your quest!

Contributor

OK, I talked with another Technical Rep and was told the same thing.  I'm wondering if all this information about only using the Arris model is based on historical issue and things have changed now.  I guess I still need to drop by my local office (since the local phone number doesn't connect to the local office) and make sure.  Although, if I changed out the eMTA, then the Techs on the phone would be the same ones to set it up if I don't take the old one and new one in to my local office at the same time.

New Poster

Check the Comcast Approved Modem List @ mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

Cable Expert

BigMc71 wrote:
So your suggestion is that the Comcast rep either didn't know what they were talking about or made this up and lied to me. How would I verify it is correct if I can't trust what their techs are telling me. I have the chat session saved for future reference.
Thx

Yes, the rep was wrong. Like Jay said, there is only one customer-owned telephony modem (eMTA) approved by Comcast and that is an Arris TM722G purchased from Best Buy with a Comcast Connection Center. Do not buy any other eMTA from any other store, Comcast will not provision it.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I am in the Twin Cities metro and the comcast chick just told me to go to best buy and ask for the emta-comcast compatible modem to replace theirs.  She also dropped my bundle down to $109 because my unemployment ran out.  I have no idea why they cooperated with me today.

New Poster

where can I buy an Ubee DVM3203B?

Cable Expert

TingWang wrote:

where can I buy an Ubee DVM3203B?

You can not, it is not for retail sale.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon