Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Calls on a Comcast line to a Vonage number

New Poster

Calls on a Comcast line to a Vonage number

I switched from a local landline service, Fairpoint, to Comcast for the sake of their "Triple Play."  Nothing but trouble, the worst of which is my inability to call my son, who uses Vonage.  I hear him, he can't hear me.  Same thing happened when I asked another Comcast user to call that number.  Calls to that number via another carrier get through without any problems.  Comcast's help lines and chats have been maddeningly useless.  They sent a tech over (though it's obviouslyl not a local problem) who verified the problem, found nothing amiss with the wiring and modem where I live, and could think of no solution.  Comcast now says it's not their problem, but how could it not be?  Anyone out there have the same problem?  A solution?  WN.

New Poster

Re: Calls on a Comcast line to a Vonage number

We have a similar problem but from the other end:  We use Vonage for our phone service over a wireless internet connection.  About 3 months ago, we started having dead air on our end with some calls.  (the caller could hear us fine on their end)  If we call back (initiate the call) all is fine.  Further investigation showed that this is specific to callers who use Xfinity phone service (at least 4 different callers consistently have this issue when calling us).  All other phone carriers are fine.  Vonage tech support had us purchase a new Vonage device; NO Improvement;... they had us remove all security... NO Improvement.  Finally Vonage just gave up and said they don't support Vonage over a wireless or satellite connection.  But it worked fine for 9 years!  What has changed?  Xfinity says it is a Vonage problem and besides we're not their problem since our daughters are two of the problematic Xfinity customers and it is their calls that we receive but cannot hear.  Rise Broadband, our internet carrier, says that there is nothing wrong with our connection so it must be a Vonage problem - however they have a competing phone service we could purchase!  I am so frustrated by this buck-passing.  Any suggestions?

New Poster

Finally, miraculously, after months of fruitless help line calls and chats, I am now able to call my son's Vonage number and hear him and be heard by him.  Exactly how this happened I don't know, but here's what I did.  I wrote a lawyer like letter (I am a lawyer) to my state's Public Service Department, spelling out the problem in detail and attaching some transcripts of the ridiculous chats.  The DPS complaint person sent it off to whatever Comcast department handles state government relations..  Then a Comcast tech, from some sort of elite squad, got back to me, asked me to verify if the problem was still a problem (I did and it was) and said she'd work on it -- giving me a phone number where I could reach her.  That last bit had never happened before.  In the ensuing week someone from Comcast called the Vonage number a couple of times, "just checking."  Then my contact called back, said to try calling my son, I did, and actually got through.  Whether this is a happy ending or just a happy interval I don't know, but I encourage anyone with an intractable problem to get a government regulatory agency involved.

New Poster

Thank you for the update.  We have exhausted our other options so will file a complaint.  I am also an attorney.  This appears to be a fairly common problem as it has been talked about on the Internet for 10 years or more.  Guess we need to get someone's attention.