Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Caller ID with Call Waiting

Regular Visitor

Caller ID with Call Waiting

I have Xfinitiy voice through Triple Play.  I have an older corded phone, which I would prefer to keep, and I would really like to see who is calling while I am on a call.  I have a basic caller ID box connected to the phone and this works fine for identifying who is calling when the phone rings.  I recently purchased a BellSouth Caller ID box (Model CI-7112) which is supposed to identify a new caller while I am on a call but it doesn't work as expected.

Is my Xfinity caller ID configured incorrectly.  Is the new caller ID box configured incorrectly?  Do I need a new phone and if so, which one?

Service Expert

Re: Caller ID with Call Waiting

t_lekan wrote:

I have Xfinitiy voice through Triple Play.  I have an older corded phone, which I would prefer to keep, and I would really like to see who is calling while I am on a call.  I have a basic caller ID box connected to the phone and this works fine for identifying who is calling when the phone rings.  I recently purchased a BellSouth Caller ID box (Model CI-7112) which is supposed to identify a new caller while I am on a call but it doesn't work as expected.

Is my Xfinity caller ID configured incorrectly.  Is the new caller ID box configured incorrectly?  Do I need a new phone and if so, which one?

If the BellSouth CallerID box is using POTS technology to show the caller ( designed for traditional land line service), it will not work with VOIP service.  I would suggest upgrading to a newer phone with a display that will work with VOIP callerid...  I personally use a DECT system and it displays all caller information.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you. 
******* Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with
RED lettered User Names. *******

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

geek46 wrote: ... If theBellSouth CallerID box is using POTS technology to show the caller ( designed for traditional land line service), it will not work withVOIP service. ...

Comcast eMTAs and gateways convert the signal on the coax line to and from POTS, do they not? Shouldn't any caller ID unit work with them?

Service Expert

BruceW wrote:

Comcast eMTAs and gateways convert the signal on the coax line to and from POTS, do they not? Shouldn't any caller ID unit work with them?

In theory yes, but I had one of those units and could not get it to work with my CDV and reverted to purchasing the DECT....  YMMV....
Ray

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

The Caller ID box does work for caller ID as long as you are not already on a call.

Are you saying I can use any DECT phone to get caller ID with call waiting?

Service Expert

t_lekan wrote:

The Caller ID box does work for caller ID as long as you are not already on a call.

Are you saying I can use any DECT phone to get caller ID with call waiting?

As an example, see this link for the DECT handset ( will need a base unit to use the handset):  http://telephones.att.com/products/product_detail/3444

And from the User Manual for the same model ( see page 20 of this manual ) :  http://cdn-media-att.vtp-media.com/media/p/document2/products/%7B346863DA-2E2D-4252-BBBA-2346F0D5B7E...

This model does suppport CallerID and CallerID with Call Waiting but does offer the caveat of what is needed by BOTH parties on the call....    You will need to research which model base units and handsets that will wrk for your needs.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you. 
******* Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with
RED lettered User Names. *******

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon