New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Caller ID to the PC being discontinued!

ANSWERED
Problem Solver

Caller ID to the PC being discontinued!

Here is a portion of an email I just got from Comcast.

"We're discontinuing Caller ID to the PC...Starting August 10, 2015, Caller ID

to the PC will no longer work."

Accepted Solution

Re: Caller ID to the PC being discontinued!

MisterEd51 wrote:

Yes. Just posted some details in the thread:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Universal-Caller-ID/Caller-ID-to-the-PC-Decommission-Notifications/td-p/2555800

View answer in context
Official Employee

MisterEd51 wrote:

Yes. Just posted some details in the thread:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Universal-Caller-ID/Caller-ID-to-the-PC-Decommission-Notifications/td-p...

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Wow! Get a respond that quickly!
Frequent Visitor

This is a good example of what gets my goat about the big tech companies and the big web sites.

So the app is being discontinued because only a “limited number” of users have downloaded it. So for those of us who find it useful, well too bad. Ok, so it’s not worth continued support – but why not leave it functional at least? Surely it doesn’t require any resources to just leave it as is.

Then there’s the issue of the Comcast/xFinity web site. Like many others out there these days, it’s darn near impossible to find the info you’re looking for. I had bookmarked the page for the Caller ID app, but didn’t see the download link. Found two other pages detailing the app as well. So apparently they had enough time to remove the link, but why not just post a message stating that the app is being discontinued? All the other details are still there, which is very confusing. So there’s another 45 minutes I can’t get back.

Then I wonder about other motives, moving on to conspiracy theories. I have internet and phone but no TV. I had heard that other people are going this route, and instead just subscribing to various streaming services. Basically, Netflix, Hulu and a decent antenna gives you a pretty good viewing selection. Could this be part of a larger campaign to “encourage” people to switch back to TV services?

Frequent Visitor

Enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Did you happen to notice that iPhone users WILL BE ABLE to get home caller ID but NOT ANDROID users? A side trip to your conspiracy theory might find Comcast in bed with Apple/iPhone, and disregarding & distancing themselves from Android and PC devices?? Just sayin'.
Problem Solver

Are you sure about that?

The XFINITY Connect app for Apple devices is available from iTunes.

The XFINITY Connect app for Android devices is available from the Google Play store.

Service Expert

fliskjy wrote:
Enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Did you happen to notice that iPhone users WILL BE ABLE to get home caller ID but NOT ANDROID users? A side trip to your conspiracy theory might find Comcast in bed with Apple/iPhone, and disregarding & distancing themselves from Android and PC devices?? Just sayin'.

As MisterEd stated, the Xfininty CONNECT App works very welll with my Android 5.1 Note 4...  You can even have your home phone forwarded to your cell within the APP so you never miss a home phone call....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Frequent Visitor

I didnot cancel caller ID on my PC. Why was this option taken out?

Service Expert

yankomas76 wrote:

I did not cancel caller ID on my PC. Why was this option taken out?

Comcast discontinued this feature,   http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Universal-Caller-ID/Caller-ID-to-the-PC-Decommission-Notifications/td-p...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

why was caller id to pc discontinued?????

Service Expert

Ma5 wrote:

why was caller id to pc discontinued?????

The official statement is here:

As part of our ongoing effort to evaluate our product offerings, we have decided to discontinue the Caller ID to the PC feature effective August 10, 2015. The feature will no longer work for the limited number of customers who have downloaded the Caller ID to the PC feature to their computers.

Customers are being notified of this change via email.

XFINITY Voice Customers can still enjoy Caller ID across other devices, including compatible home phones and TVs with Caller ID on TV, as well as on compatible smartphones and tablets with Caller ID through the XFINITY Connect app. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

I never received this email.  Caller ID on computer just stopped working.  Link to reinstall it doesn't work.  Customer service agent I spoke with after waiting 30 minutes on hold wasn't aware.

Frequent Visitor

OMIGOD.  I never received any email that Comcast was cancelling the Caller Id to home phone app.  I am on the comuter more than I watch TV.  My android phone gets enough calls.  I do not need to overload it with caller Id popups from  the home phone.  

With the logic Comcast used to cancel Caller Id to PC, I imagine that if most of us stop using Comcast, they will cancel it, too???

It allowed me to screen calls without getting up to view the caller id screen on the home hne r t be home to see it.  Bummer.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast has internet, phone and TV. ATT has those plus cell servrice I"m seeing ads where it seems that Comcast is partnering with Verizon to be able to offer the whole package.

I do run the XFinity Connect app on an Android phone and it works OK, but it's very unintuitive and cumbersome. This is part of another disturbing trend that doesn't consider a computer a "device" the same as a smartphone, tablet, Smart TV, Media Center (BluRay player, Apple TV, Xbox, Playstation). When I had my iPad, I bought several books from iTunes - but I can't read them on my PC. To be fair however, I do see some instances of this trend being addressed, especially with Windows 10.

Also, the Caller ID app for PC used Adobe AIR. This platform for buildind and distributing these type of applets is OK in theory, but AIR always seemed to need updates, and had a lot of security holes. AIR is one of those Adobe products intended to made it easier for people with limited programing knowledgle build Windows programs.

Computers still come with modems and phone jacks. This means that you can split off the phone cable and hook it up into the modem. There used to be all sorts of software out that that took advantage of this to basically turn your PC into an answering machine, complete with big company-like menus - press 1 for this, 2 for that. I would imagin that there are still a few of these apps still floating aroudn out there, which shoud also be able to display caller ID.