Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Called party couldn't hear me?

Contributor

Called party couldn't hear me?

Had a funny one occur this morning while I was still at home where we've switched to Comcast Digital Voice a few months ago.

I'd just finished a phone conversation with someone who'd called me from their cell phone and then I placed a call my office. My assistant answered the phone and I could hear her clearly, but she obviously couldn't hear me. I redialed a few more times and also tried using a different phone in our  home, but the results were the same, my assistant answered with our company name, paused,  said, "Hello". a couple of times and then hung up.

I was using regular "dumb" non electronic phones at home and could hear the sidetone when I blew into the handset mike, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the phones themselves.

About twenty minutes later I tried calling my office again and all was well. My assistant said she'd received a couple of "OK" calls from others interspersed with my "nobody there" calls.

So, my curious mind wants to know...Is it possible that the Digital Voice system could respond to my touch tone dialing, connect me to the party I called, but then fail to transmit what I'm saying so the party who picks up can't hear anything? And do that several times in a row over a period of a few minutes, and then "cure itself"?

Thanks Guys,

Jeff
Regular Contributor

Re: Called party couldn't hear me?

I don't know the answer but could have been a switch problem.  Did you take a look at the modem log to see if anything was sent to it or it reset itself?
Regular Contributor

Re: Called party couldn't hear me?

Hello jwisnia18.

I accessed your account and ran some diagnostics on your line. From what I can see the signal strength into and out of are normal and within specifications for the last 5 days (as far as I can see back).

Normally if people cannot hear you but you can hear them, your upstream signal will be low and a technician will need to come to your home to check the signal strength. He may turn this information over to a line technician (a technician that checks the network from the home back to the office).

It appears that you have already tried our other suggestion: an isolation test, where you attempt to duplicate the problem with a corded phone; cordless phones can cause this problem if the mute button has been inadvertently pressed or the batteries become low.

If this continues please contact us and we can report the issue and schedule a technician.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thanks for posting.

Jim