Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Call Screening Flaw, won't screen 11 digit number.

New Poster

Call Screening Flaw, won't screen 11 digit number.

It seems that there is a flaw with the comcast voice screening process.

Whenever I get a call from an eleven digit number it bypasses call screening. ie. 1-222-333-4444. The number shows up on my caller ID as eleven digits (10 digits preceded by a 1).

The number can be blocked if you put the original 11 digit number in your call screening list. HOWEVER, *60 won't let you put in an 11 digit number and though you can enter an 11 digit number online it won't save it (it will strip the "1" off).

I know this method works because Comcast technicians/engineers manually (from their end) put in the 11 digit numbers that I needed to block and for the last month they have all been blocked (I can see them on my missed call list). Today I had a new 11 digit number call me... added it to my screening list and when I saved it... wiped ALL the 1's off all the numbers again. Now calls are coming back in. Engineers initially told me that it shouldn't matter if it is an 11 digit number but were surprised to find out that for some unknown reason it does matter. I'm upset that I now have to go through this all over again... because I know how to solve it but the system won't let me do it.

I thought they would have fixed this by now.

New Poster

Re: Call Screening Flaw, won't screen 11 digit num

Customer support got back to me today and left a message. Said that call screening will not block business or 800 numbers and that I should go to the Do Not Call Registry and input my number. Also my phone has a ring to ground short that needs to be resolved.

What? First of all, my number has been on the Do Not call Registry for years now. Secondly, call screening will block almost any number I can put in except 911 or other special numbers (it will also block any eleven digit number if I could only input it from the user screen.)  Also, if the system were NOT supposed to block business numbers how would that work?  It would have to screen every number through a huge dynamic data base to determine if it was a legitimate business number (I seriously doubt it).

Next, is the Ring to Ground issue. That usually only comes into play with the wiring of your land line from the Phone Company. Since I have cable... I am bypassing my house wiring and am going directly from my phone to the modem which means it becomes less likely that an issue exists because there are a lot fewer connections that can go bad. I also have a printer with fax capability but I have never had any issues with my phone service except as originally stated and see no reason that "call screening" would be affected by this so called problem. 

Everytime I go over this problem with a tech... they think they know something that no one else knows and they think they have an easy fix.  No disrespect to to the techs; I used to be an electronics technician and I worked with design engineers. I am not an expert on telephony but I know something about trouble-shooting and programming. The techs just aren't listening to what I'm saying. I've identified a problem, found a solution, all it needs is to be implemented. If an eleven digit number is entered into the system it will be recognized and acted upon (screened) without any apparent issue. Also from other posts I've read here, this ability is needed to block spoofed numbers that may try to work around this apparent flaw in comcasts screening process and I see no reason why a non-US number cannot be screened as well.