Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cable modem/phone modem issue

New Poster

Cable modem/phone modem issue

At some point during the day when the computer is off, the Arris modem disconnects from the internet resulting in loss of phone service.  Once the computer power switch is activated the modem reconnects to the internet.  I have contacted customer service via phone several times with no success and have a service rep coming in a couple of days.  Please understand that the modem is not powered on or off by turning the computer on or off.  The modem is on 24/7 and will continue work with the computer off until it unexplicably disconnects.    
New Poster

Re: Cable modem/phone modem issue

The tech may have already solved this problem (I see how old this one is), but your symptoms indicate your eMTA (cable/phone modem) is plugged into the same switched power outlet as your PC (i.e., same surge protector).  Comcast's eMTAs have a battery backup designed to keep the voice side running for up to 8 hours (potentially 10 with the latest Arris models), so it won't go out immediately once the PC is turned off.

The solution is to plug the eMTA into a different power outlet which is NEVER switched off, so that the battery backup only kicks in during power outages.