Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

CDV cutout during power outage

Regular Contributor

CDV cutout during power outage

I have CDV using an RCA DHG536 EMTA connected via a 3 way splitter to the curb (no amps).   The other 2 legs of the splitter go to the TV connections and the D3 modem (Moto 6120). 

Today we lost power for a few minutes (sunny day, not weather related) and also lost CDV at the same time.   Tried an analog phone and got no dial tone.   Looked at the EMTA and the two LEDs on the left (Power and DS) were blinking green, so there is obviously a working battery.   

As soon as the power came back, I checked the analog handsets and the dial tone was back, and all the normal LEDs on the EMTA were solid green.    At first I thought maybe someone hit a pole and took out the Comcast connection coincidentally, so the power and broadband were out at the same time, but there wasn't a direct relationship, except being on the same pole.   That doesn't appear to be the case.  

Any thoughts?

Connection Expert

Re: CDV cutout during power outage

That happened in Florida last year when a glitch at a power plant took the region down long enough for the switches to kick in an reroute power from surrounding areas.  In that situation of course it was all over the news very soon after. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

JMCS wrote:

That happened in Florida last year when a glitch at a power plant took the region down long enough for the switches to kick in an reroute power from surrounding areas.  In that situation of course it was all over the news very soon after. 

Not understanding.  Are you referring to the power company or Comcast?   My question is whether or not my CDV is actually protected from power failure.   It seemed as if the service was affected by the loss of power, despite the power LED being lit and flashing.
Connection Expert

The Battery in your modem will provide power for about 8 hours when you lose power at your house.

That said, you might want to have at least one normal Corded phone that will continue to work when the power goes out.  (Cordless phone base will die when power goes out)

So you are good to go unless there is a Regional power outage that takes out Comcast, ATT and whomever else.   

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

JMCS wrote:

The Battery in your modem will provide power for about 8 hours when you lose power at your house.

That said, you might want to have at least one normal Corded phone that will continue to work when the power goes out.  (Cordless phone base will die when power goes out)

So you are good to go unless there is a Regional power outage that takes out Comcast, ATT and whomever else.   

I appreciate you trying to help, I really do, but did you even read my initial post?  If you did, you wouldn't be making those comments as if they were pertinent to me.  

I already said I had an analog phone set....I already said the power light on the EMTA was flashing green while the power was out.  

Anyone out there who can answer my original question and provide some useful information?

Message Edited by SkyhawkDriver on 03-06-2010 05:03 PM
Connection Expert

SkyhawkDriver wrote:

I have CDV using an RCA DHG536 EMTA connected via a 3 way splitter to the curb (no amps).   The other 2 legs of the splitter go to the TV connections and the D3 modem (Moto 6120). 

Today we lost power for a few minutes (sunny day, not weather related) and also lost CDV at the same time.   Tried an analog phone and got no dial tone.   Looked at the EMTA and the two LEDs on the left (Power and DS) were blinking green, so there is obviously a working battery.   

As soon as the power came back, I checked the analog handsets and the dial tone was back, and all the normal LEDs on the EMTA were solid green.    At first I thought maybe someone hit a pole and took out the Comcast connection coincidentally, so the power and broadband were out at the same time, but there wasn't a direct relationship, except being on the same pole.   That doesn't appear to be the case.  

Any thoughts?

The answer is Yes.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

JMCS wrote:

The answer is Yes.

Um...OK.   You're just a wealth of help and information.   Appreciate your vast insight.

Email Expert

Here's a simple test you can do to see if there's something wrong with your EMTA's battery backup. Unplug the EMTA's power cord and see if you still get dial tone.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Hey SkyHawk,

It's been my experience that while CDV is touted as being there when the power goes out just like regular landline telephone....that isn't always the case.  

For instance, if the power goes out to the area and the Comcast node providing CDV service loses power...poof, CDV will not work.  If the Comcast equipment has no power, no Comcast service will work.  I speak from personal experience with my own CDV service.  When my power goes out, so does my phone. 

So to answer the question, no.  CDV does not appear to be protected from power outages in the same way traditional phone service seems to be.

Hope that helps!

Cable Expert

Most if not all Comcast systems have standby power in the outside plant, so if your area has it and is not functioning in a power outage, the line dept needs to correct it.  There is no reason for an instant outage on the nodes, trunk amps & LE's when the power goes out, and should be good for hours before the batteries run down.

The only major MSO I know of without standby power is Mediacom.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon