New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

CDV Install - Anything I need to do?

ANSWERED
Contributor

CDV Install - Anything I need to do?

So reading through some posts in a different thread here I'm wondering if I need to arrange or prepare anything prior to Comcast's arrival to switch the phone service from my present carrier to CDV.  The installation is scheduled for Feb 19.  Does Comcast handle it "soup to nuts" so to speak?  Any hints or tips?

Thank you.

Calvin

Accepted Solution

Re: CDV Install - Anything I need to do?

If the number porting from your existing carrier is on track, and not delayed, then the installer should show up on time.  If there are delays in getting your number ported, then your appointment will get canceled, and will need to be rescheduled after the port is ready.  Delays can be a week to 10 days in some cases.  You should also get a call from a 3rd party that will confirm you do in fact want to port your number over from the old Telco, and if this doesn't happen, there will be a delay or possible cancelation of the order.  This is to prevent people from getting "slammed" where they would get transfered to a new phone co without there permission.

If you already have Comcast high speed internet, the tech will replace your cable modem with a eMTA cable modem and phone adapter combo unit.  That usually goes right where the old modem was located.  If there is a phone jack in that room, then the tech will disconnect your inside wiring at the Telco's NID on the side of the house from the public phone network.  He will then connect a phone cord from the eMTA to the phone jack in the room, to "backfeed" the phone jack on the eMTA to the house inside phone wiring. 

If there is not a jack in the room that the eMTA is going into, then he normally would run a phone line from the eMTA to another spot in the house to tie into the inside wiring, or run a line from the eMTA out to the NID, to access the inside phone wiring.

Once the service is changed over, in a week or two, your old service will be automatically canceled.  Do not call the old phone co. ahead of time, or you might lose your old phone number.

Any more questions on this, please post back.

View answer in context
Cable Expert

If the number porting from your existing carrier is on track, and not delayed, then the installer should show up on time.  If there are delays in getting your number ported, then your appointment will get canceled, and will need to be rescheduled after the port is ready.  Delays can be a week to 10 days in some cases.  You should also get a call from a 3rd party that will confirm you do in fact want to port your number over from the old Telco, and if this doesn't happen, there will be a delay or possible cancelation of the order.  This is to prevent people from getting "slammed" where they would get transfered to a new phone co without there permission.

If you already have Comcast high speed internet, the tech will replace your cable modem with a eMTA cable modem and phone adapter combo unit.  That usually goes right where the old modem was located.  If there is a phone jack in that room, then the tech will disconnect your inside wiring at the Telco's NID on the side of the house from the public phone network.  He will then connect a phone cord from the eMTA to the phone jack in the room, to "backfeed" the phone jack on the eMTA to the house inside phone wiring. 

If there is not a jack in the room that the eMTA is going into, then he normally would run a phone line from the eMTA to another spot in the house to tie into the inside wiring, or run a line from the eMTA out to the NID, to access the inside phone wiring.

Once the service is changed over, in a week or two, your old service will be automatically canceled.  Do not call the old phone co. ahead of time, or you might lose your old phone number.

Any more questions on this, please post back.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

JaylnAlg:  Thank you for your detailed and informative reply.  Your answer is precisely on target with the information I was trying to find.  You're awesome!

Calvin

Cable Expert

One more thing, if you have a alarm system, the installer will need to know that before he starts, as it will take a different approach to getting the dial tone on the eMTA to the RJ31X jack on the alarm panel.  You will also need to contact the alarm co, so they know work is going on.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Contributor

I do have one additional question about the CDV install.

JaylnAlg said: If there is a phone jack in that room, then the tech will disconnect your inside wiring at the Telco's NID on the side of the house from the public phone network.  He will then connect a phone cord from the eMTA to the phone jack in the room, to "backfeed" the phone jack on the eMTA to the house inside phone wiring.

My question: There is a single-port phone jack in the room where the existing modem will be replaced by the eMTA, so if the tech connects a phone cord from the eMTA to the phone jack in that room, then where (or how) would the phone in that room plug into the system?

Thanks for your help.

Calvin

Cable Expert

The tech will have the necessary phone splitter, or change the jack to a jack with two ports wired in parallel.   It matters on the existing jack if it can be changed to a dual jack or not.

Most likely he will just plug in a phone splitter.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon