Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Blocking Robo-Calls - is it even possible?

Contributor

Blocking Robo-Calls - is it even possible?

I have been getting robo-calls from a local phone spammer (312 area code) for a few months now. They are all coming from the same area code and prefix. In fact, the numbers all have the same similar sequence: 312-340-55XX. I have been noting these phone numbers trying to make sense out of this. At first I blocked a few of them but there appears to be a lot more than 12 phone numbers calling me. If I'm understanding this, the spam service has a random set of numbers starting at 5500 (for example) all the way up to 5599. Which make them impossible block using the normal block feature. Can you block numbers using the area code and prefix? That would solve that problem right away. I suppose not but if there is a solution I would be grateful. Thanks.

Problem Solver

Re: Blocking Robo-Calls - is it even possible?

Sounds like a good idea to me, block by zip code * edit * area code then when they find out calls not going threw may give up . Or reroute calls to comcast untill something is done about it .

Contributor

You mean area code.

I just got another call but this time the call came from a different area code and prefix. However, it has the same 4 digit ending number sequence as the 312 calls as I was getting earlier. Since there hasn't been a formal response from Comcast here on this forum, I will take it up with a live service operator. If there is no Comcast solution to the problem, I guess my only recourse is to cancel my Comcast phone service, switch to Vonage or some other phone service, and get a new phone number in the process.

The sad part is, whatever I do that involves a new phone number is not a permanent solution to the problem. I know that. Reporting the problem to the Do Not Call Registery is not going to help. Somehow I image these calls are originating outside the US. I was reading through some of the other posts here on this forum. Whatever minor annoyance I am experiencing pales in comparison to what others are going through. So maybe I shouldn't complain. Does the technology not exist to block by area code or prefix? If not, why not? Just curious.

PS - other than this minor annoyance, I have been very satisfied with my Comcast phone service. I gotta be honest - no problems of any kind to report. I see plenty of people complaining and that's too bad. I sympathize. But the service does work and work well for me personally. I really do hate the thought of switching to something else and maybe not getting the same quality of service. I am NOT going back to AT&T for reasons I won't get into here.

Silver Problem Solver

"krizrox wrote:
Does the technology not exist to block by area code or prefix? If not, why not? Just curious."

There are call blocking devices on the market, eg:

http://www.privacycorps.com/pages/phone-number-block.htm

I'm not suggesting you buy that, but a quick google search can give some options...

Contributor

Thanks again Paranoid - I'll look into that.

oh wow - a hundred bucks. yeah...... well... it's an option. Not one I think I'll pursue but at least I know other options exist. I don't know what it costs to change an existing comcast phone number (or whether that is a permanent solution). I suppose any number issued by any service provider can easily become a target eventually.

btw- I was looking at a few of the other forum posts related to similar subjects. If the technology exists as an external 3rd-party device, or firmware within certain model telephones, why can't Comcast implement a similar solution? Wondering if Vonage or some other 3rd party voip type service can do that? hmmmm

Contributor

I was just chatting with Comcast help support and the cost to change to a new phone # is only $10. So far that is the least expensive option (although not a permanent solution). Changing to a new phone # will likely solve the problem for a while - at least until they catch up to me again. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with problems of this sort. Anyway - thanks again for the help

Frequent Visitor

There is a new free service that came out. Nomorobo.com But comcast doesn't support it.I wonder why?

New Poster

Comcast has Anonymous Call Block. My CID lists the following ROBO's (Comcast please note): TOLL FREE, 800 Service, New York, NY, cell phone TX and this AM, the killer- -Anonymous.

New Poster

I saw the comment on NomoroboI also saw that service showcased yesterday on Comcast's own NBC Today ShowI tried to sign up for the service but when I showed my voice service is from Comcast they said it requires simultaneous ringing be added to Comcast's technology in order for us to use the service and that we should all request Comcast add it

So, Comcast if you're reading this, please help us by either adding your own technology to stop the volumonus robo calls we are all receiving or modify your system to use simultaneous ringing so we can use an outside service.