Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Blocking International Calls

Frequent Visitor

Blocking International Calls

I have chatted with a Comcast customer chat representative 3 times in an attempt to block incoming international phone calls. Below is an excerpt from my last conversation which occurred on Thursday (January 3) morning: Gemaima: I am glad to inform you that we have successfully set your account to block international calls. Me: Promise? The calls are scammers from Jamaica who will not stop calling. Gemaima: Yes. However, it will take within 24 hours for request to be completed. Gemaima: If you have the phone number you can block that specific number as well. Me: OK. So you are positive that I will no longer receive calls from Jamaica or any other international location within 24 hours? Gemaima: Yes, that is correct. Well, Comcast has FAILED. The international calls are still coming. And it is not as simple as changing the number...I have already tried that. They got the new number from my mother who has dementia. 47 calls came from Jamaica today. Comcast is horrible. Anyone have any knowledge on how to block international calls? Perhaps another phone service?
Official Employee

Re: Blocking International Calls

There are issues blocking calls that are not part of the North American Numbering Plan, we have to do a special order to have that information placed into our switch.

If you want to PM me the account that you are trying to have the International calling blocked on, I can look into it for you and make sure it happens.

I am not sure if they can block all international calls, or they have to block specific numbers.  So if you have the numbers that they are calling from please include them too.

Comcast Nick
Supervisor
Executive Customer Relations

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

It would be great if Comcast actually does something like that, but don't hold your breath. Even just blocking international calls would help, but it's not enough.

Listen up Comcast! 

Call screening for specific numbers is useless against spams and scams. Even if 12 numbers was enough, it won't work because the scammers keep changing their numbers. 

I get several scam phone calls a day. "Do not call" is a joke to these people because, Hello!, they are crooks! The FTC laws work to keep honest businesses in line, but in this regard it is spineless and toothless.

The entities that have the power to do something about these calls are the ISPs and phone service providers. Since Comcast is a big player in both arenas, Comcast can do something about this. It's pretty easy to implement software that blocks these scams. Most of the numbers are obviously bogus. Even the ones that look honest have the same handful of recorded messages, so they can easily identified.

Comcast, if you care about your customers, do something about this. If you don't care about your customers, as you obviously do not, another company that does care about customers will take over your space. As soon as I see an alternative that works, I'm moving.

Or, wait a minute: is it that the scammers are such good customers Comcast doesn't want to alienate them?

New Poster

I need to cancel may call block as Ari Canada need to call me, but their number is blocked.

I am a travel consultant, and I need to be able to answer their calls. That is the only one that I need to do. Can I unblock my phone for a short time and then, add the block my phone at a later date

Regular Visitor

I keep getting international calls but they are only 4 digits so I cannot add to my block list. Microsoft and Dell are 2 of the main spam international calls how can I block these if not All international calls I dont need to receive any calls outside the us.

Bill.

Service Expert

Frustrated_2015 wrote:

I keep getting international calls but they are only 4 digits so I cannot add to my block list. Microsoft and Dell are 2 of the main spam international calls how can I block these if not All international calls I dont need to receive any calls outside the us.

Bill.

If those callers are in NOMOROBO's database as spammers, then that application would stop the calls...   visit www.nomorobo.com to see if you are able to use them.... btw, it is compatible with Comcast VOIP and I use it myself!!!!

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I called 1-800-comcast and spoke with a tech support agent, Fay, employee number 2012. I defined my request in no uncertain terms that I wanted all international calls, both incoming and outgoing, blocked from my account. Fay verified my account information, then, as I heard the PC clicks in the background, blocked all intern'tl calls incoming out outgoing as requested. I thanked her for her kind service assistance and we said goodbye. We will see....

New Poster

What the customer support person told me to do does not work! When i pushed the *60 and put in the 10 digit  phone number it said that it was not a valid number. But it is the number as that is the one they always call from. So I didn't get anywhere and then see these other people have the same issue I realize Comcast is not that interested in helping get that to work.

Then they want me to rate the person who helped me but she was not able to help me because  

Comcast's blocking features don't have a way to block it, and there is no way to leave that on the rating just answer 1-5 which was very irritating. Comcast do you really want to know what is the problem? If so let people just tell you what worked or didn't with the call instead of the rating system which doesn't allow enough real information and is a waste of time as it is not always the person helping that makes somthing unsatisfactory but that you don't have a working method to make international call blocking happen.