Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Blinking TEL-2 light

Regular Contributor

Blinking TEL-2 light

I have the Motorola modem with only ONE phone hooked up.  The Tel 1 light is a solid green while Tel 2 is blinking green.  Should this be lit at all ?  I dont ever recall seeing it blinking.

Thank you

Cable Expert

Re: Blinking TEL-2 light

Does it keep blinking if you unplug the telephone cord to the eMTA?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hey guys glad I found this. I myself tonight noticed this on my Surfboard Cable modem. The modem is Model SBV5220. The Tel2 light never blinked before unless during a reboot of the modem. I have only 1 line for phone being used on the Tel1 connection. This has started happening today. Something is going on and I would also like comcast to look into this. Looking forward to a responce. A yes I have tried unplugging my line. I even tried to plug the phone into Tel2 to see if there was service on it, but there was not. I have rebooted the modem. And last resort I even tried a factory reset on the modem. Nothing has worked. Is this a problem with the Surfboards now.

Frequent Visitor

By the way my service is only for 1 phone. And it does work properly.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I unplugged phone line from #1 in back and it still blinks.  I went so far as to remove the power cord as well as the battery and #2 still blinks.

Frequent Visitor

Cobra67

I guess these forums cant help this. My other thread got a little heated.  I actually had to have a appointment made to get a tech to come and exchange the modem. The forum people will say firmware issues, but I have now verified through Motorola it is not a firmware issue as long as I did not change the firmware. So the forums here will say firmware but they are wrong. Just get an appointment and ask for them to exchange the modem. Forums are no help for this issue.

Not trying to be a beanhole but wow in my other post one guy tells me it is common knowlege that everyone should know we can not exchange our modem at the comcast building. Well I myself being a 20 year subscriber to comcast find this funny because I never had to try a exchange until now and it is like he is calling me stupid for not knowing this. So good luck here.

Regular Contributor

Well I know for a fact that I have in fact picked up a "cable" modem in the past, however I was told that a tech would have to come out since it has the phone hooked into this one.  I have a feeling my issue is part the fact that I have an EOF (End Of Life) modem which very well may be the reason I am also currently experiencing brief outages in my internet, lasting from 10 seconds to 2-3 minutes.

Cable Expert

Cobra67 wrote:

Yes, I unplugged phone line from #1 in back and it still blinks.  I went so far as to remove the power cord as well as the battery and #2 still blinks.

Comcast regularly updates firmware to their devices including cable modems and eMTA's without notice.  Frequently that will cause the leds on these devices to change how they function.  If you service is working, then there is no need to worry about it.  Calling Comcast will not get you an answer as the CSR's would not know how these updates affect the equipment's function as long as it's still working.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Now see that was very good sugestion on you yourself. Better then what the forum people have said atleast. Makes sence if you have an EOF then yes it may mean time to update the modem. Well hope you get your problem solved. Like I said a tech we be at my house tomorrow. I will post back if a new modem fixes my light issues.

Regular Contributor

good luck.  It's like wishing you the best as you go into battle with comcast lmao

Regular Contributor

Well I find it funny that since I noticed it blinking that I am also experiencing intermittent outages.  Firmware or not/

Frequent Visitor

I am sorry Jay about the other post but man today was rough. But did you just write that comcast updates our hardwares firmware without notice. Is this in our TOS. Hum never new they could do this unannounced. Well that atleast you explain why you mention firmware finally.

Frequent Visitor

LMAO at battle with Comcast remark. No I just want them to understand I am a tech to. They just assumed I was not very tech savy. But hey its their job.

Regular Contributor

lol, been there done that.  it got so bad at one point I had the BBB involved......

Cable Expert

liltrow wrote:

I am sorry Jay about the other post but man today was rough. But did you just write that comcast updates our hardwares firmware without notice. Is this in our TOS. Hum never new they could do this unannounced. Well that atleast you explain why you mention firmware finally.

"You agree by using the Services, you are enabling and authorizing Comcast, its authorized agents and equipment manufacturers to send code updates to the Comcast Equipment and Customer Equipment, including, but not limited to, cable modems, digital interactive televisions with CableCARDs, and voice capable modems at any time it is determined necessary to do so as part of the Services. Such code updates may change, add or remove features or functionality of any such equipment or the Services."

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement.html

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon