Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Bad Comcast

Frequent Visitor

Bad Comcast

I'm not able to use both the phone and internet simultaneously.  This is not acceptable. I have Comcast's modem and wireless router.

I know this part should be in customer service but between billing errors and not being able to use what I do pay for, I'm at the point of cancelling the whole thing.

Cable Expert

Re: Bad Comcast

I am taking it that you have a cordless phone.  Cordless phones and wireless WI-FI signals are on the same frequencies and frequently interfer with each other.  I have seen it so often, I lost count years ago.

First step is not have your cordless phone base anywhere near your wireless router.  Next steps would be change channels on the cordless phone and last resort, you would get into your router's setup interface and change the channel on the router.  As an expample if it is on ch 1, change to ch 6 or 11.

This is a industry problem, not with Comcast or any other provider.  Some users end up replacing their cordless phones with a 5ghz model.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I appreciate your reply.   What would have been nice would have been if the technician who set it up told us that.   I am appalled at the lack of knowledge of the people who work for Comcast, you excluded if you work for them.

Again, thank you.

Cable Expert

The volunteers on this forum with their names in blue do not work for Comcast, only administrators with their names in red are Comcast employees.  The admin on this forum will see your comment about the tech, as he truely cares about your satisfaction.

Please post back if you need more help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

The degree of interference depends greatly on the frequencies that the various systems are operating on.  The tech probably should have warned you of a potential issue.  But without analyzing every device in your house he could not have known for sure if any device was going to be an issue.  I am IT guy so I understand this stuff, But I. like most mortals, am not infallible. 

Here is an example.

After a couple of years of various interferences, I bought phones which operate on different frequencies than the wireless network (Wireless Network was running on a 2.4 Ghz frequency, which also happens to be a very common frequency for cordless phones).  So a little googling found that a DECT frequency phone (1.9 Ghz)  doesn't operate on any frequency commonly used by anything else.  So I bought one.  Not only doesn't it  interfere with my networks, its range and clarity are second to none.    All was well in home network land, audio, video etc streaming through the house, phones work fine without an issue.   An electrical outage fried my router last month (not sure how many of these I have lost to simple power outages, there is a box in the basement with several carcasses)  So we buy a new one supporting 802.1n  (really high speed wireless), and my Apple TV happily joined the n network and streams video and audio in amazing speed.  All is good!  However, don't  put the Newmans Own Popcorn in the Microwave during reruns of Star Wars; it totally crashes the n network.   The movie was streaming over the n network; popcorn in the nuker,  then no network for 3 minutes.   Some  viewers were not  happy missing  Widget in his first film appearance (OK, some 30 something years later) .

The point of this is simple.  Nothing in networking is simple. There are all kinds of potential issues. radio interference, other networks, bad or improperly made cable, etc.   I still have no idea why my Microwave which is about as far away from my router as you can physically get, crashes the N network.  Until then, no popcorn while streaming a movie or music.

Not necessarily Bad Comcast.