New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Backup Battery

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Backup Battery

Why should I have to purchase a backup battery ($35 plus shipping) for Comcast's equipment? Of course nobody told me that when I bough this system. All I got was a sticker telling me my phone, including 911 calls, will not work if the power goes out without the backup battery.
Accepted Solution

Re: Backup Battery

The backup battery of my Arris TM822 modem recently failed and I purchased a 8 hr replacement from from Amazon for $12.99.

View answer in context
Valued Contributor

Quite honestly if the power goes out in your local area the phone service won’t work anyways......the main lines and the equipment on the main lines ( above and below the street) need electrify to run. So if Comcast lines/equipment are powerless you are still without phone service even if you do have the battery

Service Expert

Roachb wrote:
Why should I have to purchase a backup battery ($35 plus shipping) for Comcast's equipment? Of course nobody told me that when I bough this system. All I got was a sticker telling me my phone, including 911 calls, will not work if the power goes out without the backup battery.

Consider a UPS for your required/sensitive electronics....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

The backup battery of my Arris TM822 modem recently failed and I purchased a 8 hr replacement from from Amazon for $12.99.

Connection Expert

robandmar wrote:

Quite honestly if the power goes out in your local area the phone service won’t work anyways......the main lines and the equipment on the main lines ( above and below the street) need electrify to run. 

AFAIK, the infrastructure has pole mounted battery backups and also has provisions to have portable generator hook ups. And the headend has backup generators. How well these local franchise's systems are maintained I can not say. YMMV.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

My AT&T landline always worked during power outages. I feel Comcast should provide the battery instead of making it a profit center. Instead they provide a sticker warning you that you won't be able to call 911 in the event of a power outage unless you purchase the battery from them.

A while ago, after being ripped off on batteries buying batteries at the now bankrupt Radio Shack, I also found that reasonably priced batteries of all types can be found online. The battery I purchased from Amazon.com seems to be working just fine.

Contributor

I had oiginally expressed concern about phone services before switching to tripple play in the case of a power outage, but I was told that the unit had a battery backup so it was covered. They have since changed their policy regarding batteries, so I feel I am being cheated and being asked to pay for something that was covered when I first joined.

Regarding a comment  that if power is out the comcast system for phones would also be out. That is not necessarily true as the outage might be in my area but not for the complex that services my area. If I drop cell service, I would probably go back to AT&T landline service if the old service is even available. The other option is to drop the landline phone and rely on cell phone service only. Comcast shows a lack of service and concern for its customers here, so I complain about their not being responsible for the battery. I have been cheated based upon what I was originally told and their policy now. Guess that is what I can expect from Comcast.

New Poster

I believe they are breaking the law on this. I read somewhere that they must provide the ability to contact 911 in emergencies when power goes out. However you must have an old land line phone connected for this to work. That's how it works in my home. Cordless phones wont work. I can always call power company to report outage and recieve updates. Hopefully the new 'net nutrality laws will correct this'. They have been getting away with pocket gouging for far to long.

Contributor

My setup at home includes a wireless setup which includes 5 phones. Additionally I have an older phone that connects directly into the telephone jack on the phone. If my wireless system in the house goes offline because of a problem with the base unit, the older phone since it has a phone line connected directly to the modem.

Regarding providing the 911 featire it becomes a complex question. Are they responsible for providing equipment but not necessarily a backup system in the home like a battery. Never lost phone coverage with the old land line though there were some experiences of overloaded systems going back a few decades where so many calls were being made, phone calls were impacted. Seems there are many laws by state, but it would take time to answer the question.

http://www1.911enable.com/resource-center/state-e911-legislation

Frequent Visitor

If the X1 Arris unit loses power your phone is dead. Every phone in the house is dead. They all work through that unit. Read that sticker Comcast provided you. Switch back to AT&T? In an emergency? That is not happening.
Contributor

That was the reason for the battery. My understanding is that if power was lost as long as the battery had power the phone would work but not internet connection.

Service Expert

JimXfin wrote:

That was the reason for the battery. My understanding is that if power was lost as long as the battery had power the phone would work but not internet connection.

Jim,

Purchase a small UPS ( 350/500/650 ) and put that into use....  This will ensure Phone System and Internet working during any power glitch/event....   I have 7 UPS's throughout my residence for all servers/desktops/laptops/gateway/DVR's/STB's....

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

APC is the best for all. You can plug modem, PC, monitor etc. Comes with software and you can set how long you want the battery to run.

New Poster

Comcast Larry,

Not supplying a battery back up has been Comcast's policy since last December, when we got our system.  Honestly, without battery back up, you are supplying, and charging through the nose, for a system that is unreliable, without the ability to be serviceable in a power failure.  When we had UVerse, they supplied a stand alone battery backup pack.  And who picked the font size on the Guide on the television.  It's so small that you have to have either a 60" television, or stand next to it in order to read the programing.  When UVerse comes to our area, I'll be switching, or I'll go to Dish.

wgd1206 wrote:

APC is the best for all. You can plug modem, PC, monitor etc. Comes with software and you can set how long you want the battery to run.

New Poster

I agree. One of the main selling for the phone service/triple play, almost 10 years ago, was that you didn't have to worry about losing phone service during a power outage, for at least 8 hours. So, the battery was provided, as it should be. I pay over $200.00 a month; you'd think Comcast could throw in a $35 bettery. It just makes me angry when I was promised certain service. I shouldn't have to worry about a battery. I didn't even realize it changed until I lost power and my phone service went out. A company should never remove anything they provided when you first sign-up, especially at the ridiculous cost we pay for Comcast.