Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Back Feed

Frequent Visitor

Back Feed

I'm trying to back feed my phone line into my exsisting jack, but nothing is working.  Never had telephone service through another provider so I don't think the phone line was connected.  THoughts ideas?   Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: Back Feed

comcast supplies voip (voice over internet protocol) phone service. meaning the same line that gives you cable and internet will also provide the phone service. so the empty "phone jacks" will not work. comcast does not service telephone lines, they service cable lines. so if you want your phone to work you need to plug it into the modem that is connected via coax line. this also means that if your power goes out the phone will also not work, as the cable line does supply power like a phone line does. comcast does have battery back up, but it only lasts for a few hours

Service Expert

Re: Back Feed

chris_navyguy wrote:

I'm trying to back feed my phone line into my exsisting jack, but nothing is working.  Never had telephone service through another provider so I don't think the phone line was connected.  THoughts ideas?   Thanks.

Backfeeding from the EMTA to the empty phone jack closest to the EMTA is one of the ways to get the other phone jacks working in the residence....   however, not all phone lines are run the same...  I have seen phone wiring run in series, parallel and with home runs from the telephone interface box mounted on an outside wall of a residence...  If the internal wiring is damaged or not connected correctly, backfeeding will fail...  You can hire an electrician ir low voltage technician t try and troubleshoot and make repairs...   OR you can plug a phone directly into the TEL1 jack of the modem/gateway.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon