online now

discussions

BATTERY BACKUP

Frequent Visitor

BATTERY BACKUP

Here we go, easier to break it down this way:

2 Brand new batteries

Replaced modem twice

Battery back up not working on Gateway Modem. I only found this out after a power outage. Contacted comcast, back and forth with battery department and tech support, you know that drill, even had a excellent tech come out, who went beyond of what he should have done to figure out the issue. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this issue? I live in a rural area and unfortunately, we loose power quite a bit. I just cant understand how noone can figure out what the issue is. Hoping to get any answers here. And yes, I have done all the basic, just hooked up a corded phone only to the back of the modem and phone still doesn't work.  This could be a major issue for Comcast. What if someone has a emergency and can't call 911, and for those of you out there, NO, not everyone has a cell phone. I am in the emergency service and you would be surprised at how many elderly do not have cell phones, but that is not the issue, the purpose of a battery back up is for the phone service to keep working for a few hours during a outage.

PLEASE can anyone help with this issue? Thanks

Cable Expert

Re: BATTERY BACKUP

If you unplug your modem from AC power right now, does it continue to work?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Nerdburg.....when I unplug..... Phone will work for about 45 seconds, then it goes dead.
The proper LEDs according to Comcast are illuminated, and on the back, Ethernet lights are also powered and flickering
Not that, that matters cause only phone will work with back up, but to me it shows that the battery is working.
Cable Expert

Hummph. You got me stumped. If you replaced the batteries and modem it would seem to rule out a hardware issue. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the battery contacts have corroded. A q-tip and a little alcohol should clean them off.....that seems unlikely tho. You might consider purchasing an UPS and plug both the phone and modem into it. Sorry, I don't have any other ideas for you. I'll ask around though and see if anyone has seen this before.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Nerdburg....yeah I thought hardware issue as well, that's why I had modem replaced. I would very much appreciate any info you could find out. I am working with a Comcast tech on the side with this as well. He is just as stumped as us. If we come up with a solution, I will also let inform you of that solution. Thanks for your present and any future help. This shouldn't be this much of a issue, you would think this would be a very simple fix. Lolol. Simple things are never easy. Lol
Valued Contributor

If losing power is a big concern then buy a UPS.

Frequent Visitor

Patton.......I actually did buy a ups for the time being, that Comcast actually reimbursed me for......but the point is, that I shouldn't have to have a ups when the battery backup should be working in the modem that they supply, to me its like buying a new car and the engine not working, and they say go buy some horses to pull it, which is what i told Comcast. Think that's why they reimbursed me. Lolol