New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Arris TG862G/CT Missing Battery

Frequent Visitor

Arris TG862G/CT Missing Battery

Dear All, 

We had a gateway installed yesterday, and it was very light, so I checked the battery compartment, and there wasn't a battery.

Now, having experiance with EMTA/Gateways I believed the battery was a backup, incase there was a power outage, you could still ring 911 if needed?

So I reached out to the Install Engineer and he stated that they stopped providing the batteries with the units over a year ago?

It would appear that I can purchase one from Comcast for $34.95 (plus $5.95 S&H) but I would have thought that would only apply to people who want to replace it, or buy an additional one for backup? What about people who have only just had the device installed, from new? am I able to go down to the comcast store and pick on up, or are they likely to try to charge me for it?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Regards

Barbara.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Arris TG862G/CT Missing Battery

Greetings Barbara:

Or should I say, "Woof Woof?"

In mid-September, I bundled voice and internet into my existing cable TV service through Comcast.  Like you, Comcast provided and ARRIS wireless gateway (model TG862G) without a battery.  I have not searched for a battery myself, but you may be able to get a better price quote from a big box electronics store.

I have additional pieces of advice.  The ARRIS gateways has two passwords.  The first protects your network and is referred to as a Network Key.  The second password permits you to change the settings of your gateway, and the default password is the same for all gateways, "password."  If you have not done so, I recommend that you change both passwords.  Also, I would increase the firewall setting for the gateway.  The default setting is the least secure setting.  The Quick Start Guide left by the technician would explain how to do so.

Good luck,

Ergphobe 

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, all the passwords and required changes have been made to the gateway.

Looking over other various posts about similar issues, it would appear I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just order one from Ebay or simlar.

That is a shame... 

Frequent Visitor

Greetings Barbara:

I am not sure if you are a new Comcast customer for internet.  However, if you are, I  suggest you check to see how many voice and data modems are listed on your account.  Log into My Account.  Then, click on the Manage Equipment icon.

The reason I suggest this is because Comcast has permitted a second or rogue modem to be assigned to my account.  The gateway that sits next to my computer is listed by its M.A.C. address but so is the rogue.  Its M.A.C. address is not similar to mine.  The rogue is racking up the data usage numbers.  In October and November, the rogue's monthly data usage exceeded 1.2 TB.  My internet service began in mid-September.  Accordingly, the rogue's number for September was only 500 GB.  So far in December, the rogue has exceeded 1.3 TB.  My gateway uses approximately 1GB per  month.

Comcast has been aware of the problem for more than 30 days, but it has been unable to remove the rogue or disable it.  However, Comcast has continued to send me copyright violation notices under both the FSP (aka P2P) and DMCA systems.  So keep an eye on your equipment.

Ergphobe

Frequent Visitor

Well, I've just checked on my account page, and the OLD Emta is still listed there, I see the new one with a reset of the data limit back to the begining.

I'll have to keep an eye on that, I don't want the same thing happening to me. As it was only exchanged yesterday, I'll give it until Monday to drop off.

Thanks for the heads up.

New Poster

If you have a cell phone you don't even need a battery.

My gateway is about 1 yr. old had a power outage about 1 week ago the battery kicked in & 2 days later the Batt. light was flashing I removed the batt. re-installed it regharged then discharged now its re-charging, duh, now xfinity has no support. I'm gonna buy my own & stop rent.

New Poster

If xfinity told you they will not supply batt and haven't for a year they are lying like they usually do. I upgraded to wireless modem in July and called them afterwards and insisted on a battery. They brought me one. I just bought my 80 year old mother internet/voice for Christmas, this time they will not give up the battery. Website wording indicates it should come with a battery. (Voice MAY NOT work after extended power outage) Doesn't that mean it should work for a while? I am seriously considering dropping my account and hers for this simple issue. EVERY time I deal with Comcast it takes 2 months to get billing issues resolved. Same thing this time. On the phone the full price was 128 the bill is 184.