Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Arris Surfboard SBG6580 Gateway support voice?

New Poster

Arris Surfboard SBG6580 Gateway support voice?

I bought an Arris Surfboard SBG6580 Gateway at retail to support DOCSIS 3.0 connectivity but it has no phone jacks on it.  It was on Comcasts of compatible gateways.  Will it not support voice (phone) functionality?

Service Expert

Re: Arris Surfboard SBG6580 Gateway support voice?

jaw4jazz wrote:

I bought an Arris Surfboard SBG6580 Gateway at retail to support DOCSIS 3.0 connectivity but it has no phone jacks on it.  It was on Comcasts of compatible gateways.  Will it not support voice (phone) functionality?

If you have both Voice & Internet Service through Comcast, and you desire to own the device, the only approved retail device is the TG862G.   http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

There are other models available if you desire to rent from Comcast including newer units but you will be at the mercy of what Comcast has in stock at the local center....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Connection Expert

Re: Arris Surfboard SBG6580 Gateway support voice?

FWIW, there *may still* be one caveat to owning your own eMTA or gateway device that supports their phone service. YMMV. I always advise (until I'm told otherwise officially) that the first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC.

The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon