Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Annoying Robo-calls and Telemarketers...

New Poster

Annoying Robo-calls and Telemarketers...

Ever since I 've got my new telephone service with Comcast/Xfinity I have experience a haigh volume lot of annoying robo-calls and telemarketing calls.

After having complained several times to Comcast customer service, I was finally told that I can have my number, including my mailing address, removed from their Ecolisting internet phone book for a low monthly fee. 

I think is outregageous that Comcast does not have a disclosure on it's service agreement concerning how they publish and sell customer's personal information to telemarketers and other businesses, including their mailing addresses and pin-pointing locations.

By law Comcast should be required to disclose this feature in it's service agreement, so customers should be informed on how their personal information is being publish without their consent.

I'm in the process of filing a complaint with the FCC with the hope that someone will take care of this issue. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Annoying Robo-calls and Telemarketers...

How it any different than having to pay AT&T for an unlisted number?

Problem Solver

This may help   https://www.donotcall.gov/

Regular Visitor

try NOMOROBO.com  I did yesterday and things seem to be returning to normal, at least so far

Contributor

I definately agree with verything you said! I have the same issues....I have many different times wanted to just cut out the phone from my account, but, its about impossisble because of the way they bundle..Its like the phone is a Freebe, and why? I guess like you indicated to link up with all the telemarketers and Robo Calls.  Ive even put most of my Comcast calls on the Do not call Gov website and still get....Comcast should and dos know this, most dont want and reprting it is fruitful, as they used 20 diffeent numbers.   I only use the phone for outgoing calls when waiting for a call on my cell!  I hope you follow up  its very annoying and unprofessional!  But dont think they care,.

marusik wrote:

Ever since I 've got my new telephone service with Comcast/Xfinity I have experience a haigh volume lot of annoying robo-calls and telemarketing calls.

After having complained several times to Comcast customer service, I was finally told that I can have my number, including my mailing address, removed from their Ecolisting internet phone book for a low monthly fee. 

I think is outregageous that Comcast does not have a disclosure on it's service agreement concerning how they publish and sell customer's personal information to telemarketers and other businesses, including their mailing addresses and pin-pointing locations.

By law Comcast should be required to disclose this feature in it's service agreement, so customers should be informed on how their personal information is being publish without their consent.

I'm in the process of filing a complaint with the FCC with the hope that someone will take care of this issue. 

Frequent Visitor

I agree that the robo-calls and telemarketing calls are most annoying, but in this case Comcast is not entirely to blame. We had Verizon just a few years back: same EXACT problem and, also, for a few extra $$ a month number/name could be pulled from print (?) and online records. I was not surprised at all that there was a charge for this. Long before interwebs, cell phones > you obviously don't remember and I am surely much older than you > there was a charge for (what was known then) a private number.

However, Comcast does disclose what is done with your information (pretty standard stuff > i.e. Google, Facebook, NYT, PBS > you probably get the idea). What I'm not clear about from your post is that your complaint is that this "disclosure" is not on a "service agreement"? You mention "ecolisting" in your post, so I wondered if you went online to review Comcast's information sharing policy? BTW, having an unpublished telephone number does not save you from robo-calls whether they're shared by Comcast or not. They are literally ROBO-CALLS: random + one right after another. The Robo(s) will eventually get to your phone number at some point. Caller ID is your friend.

Information sharing: read the FULL disclosure before/when you sign up. I don't like it anymore than you do; however, there are add-ons for your browser that can maybe make you feel like you're more protected. There are good suggestions for your situation down-thread. The nice folks in and around this Forum (all threads) will be much more help than the FCC. Actually, I came on here for a refresher on this very topic and stumbled upon "nomorobo". Best of luck!

Contributor

Thanks for responding , I'm 63 and I do remember as a teenager and not much longer having to pay private phone! We're way beyond that! I don't agree with other companies particular cell phones having this issue! I've had Comcast 42 years and when they addeded phone got phone... As I mentioned I only use Comcast phone outgoing calls, because of this. Use my cell for everything which was never my desire. Sir. The last couple of years the FCC is trying to stop the Bundling, which may help!
Contributor

See posts
Valued Contributor

Fernando1616 wrote:

....I have many different times wanted to just cut out the phone from my account, but, its about impossisble because of the way they bundle.

What's stopping you from just not plugging a phone into the port on the modem?  Or just mute the ringer on the phones so that they never ring.  Use your cell phone for incomming calls and the Comcast line is available for outgoing if you choose.

Contributor

That's what I used to do! But now have it plugged in for a fax machine and supposedly for the xfinity connect app which presently doesn't work right to be able to use #with iPad . It's all screwed email and issue now also! Tried 3 different times to get support and after waiting forever kept getting disconnected! Now you figure
Frequent Visitor

I honestly don't see us dropping the landline in the near future as we've found it's the best for faxing (not that we really use this anymore but it's there when we need it). We also have some vintage phones that work and, much to the chagrin of our 30-something kids, actually use from time-to-time.

We also have modern phones with Caller ID. If we don't recognize the name/number we just don't answer. If it's important, a message will be left. Several weeks ago, my own name and number was shown on the Caller ID. It was funny, to me anyway; until later in the week my father's name and number showed up on my mom's Caller ID. He passed away 3 years ago. Not. Funny. (She has Verizon BTW).

I just try not to take these calls too seriously. Since you can view your calls, you will soon notice a pattern. Caller ID, along with the available Call Block, will help a bit. But remember, we're heading into a long Presidential season. Ugh.

New Poster

Hi,

So here is the scoop on Robo Calls and why Comcast MUST step in to solve this problem.  Comcast are you reading this?  Do you care about the frustration and damage caused by robo-callers?  Personally, I am very close to cancelling Comcast voice because of these issues.

I'll try to be brief on my investigations and results - which have pretty much turned out not to be fruitful.  

Land lines, such as ATT are governed by Tele-communications laws.  They are very strict in limiting the kinds of calls that can be made to your home.  This is why, in general, you get few spam calls to on your home line.  However, when switching to Voice Over IP (VOIP) that Comcast uses (as do many other companies), you now have your voice communications going over the internet.  And, the laws governing the use of the internet do not have the controls that are in place for the Tele-communications companyies.  So, for example, and just like spam email, you can get phone calls from 123-456-7890.   It's easy and unregulated to create robocalls.  The problem is that they cause a lot of damage (mostly to elderly people who fall for scams).  DoNotCall does almost nothing for you since it's primarly used for land lines if at all and only legitimate businesses reference it.  

Comcast has supplied a paltry list of 25 slots one can use to block numbers (*60, 2,#,9) but a) it's not enough and b) the robo callers change their info.  Other 'solutions' such as do not accept blocked numbers (e.g. restricted or unlisted) only provide a little relief.

I also tried the CPR call blocker but it did not work on my comcast phone (although the CPR folks were very nice and helpful).  CPR looks to be a good solution if it works in your area.  I bought on Amazon and could return it so its worth a try.  And, I am not affliated with CPR in any way.  I'm just a guy who is sick and tired of getting 2 to 3 phone calls a day starting at 8.30AM and interrupting my day.

The only way to avoid the robo calling may be to use cell phones and I'm right on the cusp of making that decision.  It's almost goodbye comcast voice for me since so little has improved.

I hope this helps you understand the quagmire of using voice over the internet.  It's a real problem with no quick fix unless those who can do something about it such as the governement or the service providers step up.  For me it's an annoyance, but in reading about others, it has drained people's life savings when a robocaller calls and elderly person and talks them into sending all their money to a sham business.

Frequent Visitor

An unlisted number is very different than the privacy expectation that we should expect.

I have the same complaint as the original poster - your comment assumes that ATT also publishes their customer infomation in manner that allows harvesting by criminals, or who flaunt the laws of the land.

I too have experienced what the original poster has presented "Ever since I 've got my new telephone service with Comcast/Xfinity I have experience a haigh volume lot of annoying robo-calls and telemarketing calls."

I am on the FCC Do Not Call list and have been for years.  I did not have these annoying calls when I was with ATT.

I am seriously considering changing back to ATT.  Imagine that - going back to THOSE guys because the service you switched to is worse.

Frequent Visitor

Excellent post, gemarcos!!!

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing your research.

It makes sense, and is justifying my discussion with my spouse about dropping Xfinity voice...