Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Adding a phone

New Poster

Adding a phone

We already have Comcast cable and internet and want to add digital phone replacing our existing Century Link landline. A couple of questions; our current modem does not have a phone jack on it, do we need to buy a new modem or is there an adapter that can be used (the modem has a free USB port). I'd prefer not to rent a modem from Comcast.  Second, for the phone line to work, presumably we need to have a phone jack near the location of the modem, correct?

Thanks

Cable Expert

Re: Adding a phone

The Comcast installer will replace your cable modem with a eMTA telephony modem.   Normally the installer will run wiring from the eMTA to a close phone jack, if there are none, he can run the wire to another point in the home to connect to the inside phone wiring. 

In some cases the installer will place the eMTA in another location near the inside phone wiring and keep your existing modem "as is".  In this case the eMTA would be phone only and the existing cable modem would be left as the HSI modem.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for the clarification.  So presumably the replacement modem is one that I have to rent from Comcast.  How much would that be a month and do I have the option of purchasing one to avoid the monthly fee?

Cable Expert

Normally the eMTA is a rental and in most area's it is $7 a month.

In some but not all Comcast markets you can purchase a eMTA at only one source, Best Buy's with Comcast Connection centers at this list of locations.  The Arris TM722G eMTA is $150 plus tax and additional installation costs from Comcast for a tech to come out and install it.  Look for the Comcast sales agents at these locations hanging out in the TV section.  They setup your account  for the new eMTA and then you purchase it from Best Buy.

If you can find a BB with a Comcast Connection Center, talk to the sales agent about purchasing the eMTA before the cutover and installation date of your CDV service.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon