Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Add another line

Frequent Visitor

Add another line

Hello.  I'm new to the "cabe company offering me phone service" thing.  In the past, when I had traditional phone service, I knew how to run another phone line from my telephone box into, for example, the basement and install a new phone outlet.  How do I do this with comcast phone service?  Once again, I'm finishing the basement and need another line down there.Thanks!
Regular Contributor

Re: Add another line

You do the same as you have been doing.  The way the cable phone/ CDV works is you plug in a phone cord from the eMTA (modem) to a wall jack.  Then that will allow all other jacks in the house to work and act like a regular phone line does.

The only other thing that happens is when CDV gets installed they unplug the phone line from the test jack on the NID.  The NID is the box on the side/back of a house where the copper comes into the house.  Unplug that and CDV works like I stated above don't unplug that and none of the jacks will work.  CDV tech will do that for you.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response.  I understand the concept, but I guess I'm still a little confused about the actual installation.  I went out to the NID box, and hooked up a new phone line as I have done in the past...meaning hooking in the red and green wires.  When I listen in on the phone extension, I hear an echo, like its connected.  But I don't get a dial tone.  So I'm guessing I am hooking into the "phone company" line,  not the cable line.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks.
Regular Contributor

Basically for wiring a jack do it the same way you used.  The only thing in the NID that you need to do for CDV or should be done already is the little test jack that has a short phone cord should be unplugged.  Then wire up the house like you normally do..then hook up the phone from the back of the CDV modem to a phone outlet and you should be set.

The phone for the CDV is coming in off the cable connection it has nothing to do with the wiring at the NID except to unplug that test phone cord.

Does that make a bit more sense?
Frequent Visitor

It sort of makes sense.  But I'm confused about the wiring at the NID.  The test jack at the NID is unplugged, so we're ok there.

Think of it this way - I want to install a new phone jack.  I have the jack down the basement (the wiring is connected to the jack).  Now, I have the OTHER end of the wire (the one with the green, red, black and yellow wires) not connected to ANYTHING.  I would normally run this wire out and hook it into the NID.  What do I do with it now?!  In other words, where do I hook the green  and red wires into?

Thanks!  Sorry for being such a dope about this!!

Regular Contributor

Ah well that part I am a bit vague on.  You would hook that into the NID like you did before.  As to where in the NID I can't say for sure haven't done wiring in a long time and really never did new just existing.

Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.
Frequent Visitor

Its bizarre.  I go out there, and see where all the wires are hooked into the NID from all the phone lines, but thar are all CUT!!  I have no idea how all the phone jacks are now connected to each other!!  I think I located one "main" pine line coming in, but thats the one I tried wiring into and got the "echo" but no dial tone.  Maybe digital voice requires more than the green and red wires?  Or maybe different wires, like black and yelloow??  Its like I'm so close, yet so far away!!
Regular Contributor

Remember the wiring shouldn't have anything to do with CDV it's just using your existing wiring.
Most Valued Poster

Visit your local hardware store and many will have some nice phone junction boxes that you can use to add wires.  Generally, you will just add another phone jack to the other end and plug it into the junction box.  You can visit the Vonage forum website and there are usually some directions on best practices to use when hooking these up and some pictures showing each step.  There is nothing unique about phone wiring when you use digital phone service but you do need to do some research on how to do it right.
Frequent Visitor

Ok, so what I keep hearing from oyu guys is the wiring to the NID outside is the same.  All the wires to the other phone lines are cut, which mus mean the phone lines already within the house are wired in series...otherwise no other jack would work.  So, I somehow need to wire into the ONE main phone line that is connected to the NID.  I think I found that line.  When I wire into it, it sounds like the phone is on, but there is no dial tone.  I'm hoping this means I'm at least heading in the right direction!  So now I'm wondering if I need a certain kind of jack for CDC??  It doesn't make sense that the phone sounds like its on, but with no dial tone.  The Vonage site was somewhat helpful, showing pictures of the exact NID box I have.  BUT, it basically confirmed what I was already doing - witing another jack as I would normally do.

Any tips on wiring?  Do I need a special type of jack?
Regular Contributor

No special jack needed.  Remember wiring/jacks all the same it works just like your POTS line did it's just putting signal from the CDV modem to the rest of the using existing setup.  Nothing special needed Smiley Happy.
Email Expert

The main difference with CDV shouldn't be with your inside wiring, it should just replace the wire from the phone company. In place of the wire coming from the telephone pole to the NID, there should be a wire coming from the eMTA.

You said that all the wires from the NID are cut. Maybe the Comcast installer replaced the NID with a new junction box somewhere. Since the wire isn't coming from the telephone pole any more, there's no need to have an outside NID, so this replacement would protect the wires from the elements.

Can you trace the wire from the eMTA to see where it goes?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

Whether wires are in a series or using the "home run"  wiring schema should not matter; either should work well.  Using the home run though will reduce chance of wiring problems and is not the preferred way to do the wiring but it saves the builder a few feet of wire if they can slip it past the building inspector or if it is not a code issue in your locality.