New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

A few questions before I add Digital Voice

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

A few questions before I add Digital Voice

I've had Comcast since '96 and will be addeding the Digital Voice.

Last year I purcahsed a Motorola 5101 cable modem to replace my older D-link. Before that I was renting a Toshiba from Comcast.

I know that the Digital Voice requires a new eMTA modem, but can that be installed seperate so I can keep the 5101 connected where my PC is? I really don't want to replace my Motorola 5101 for a different modem.

I have a Panasonic cordless phone with built-in answering machine. Can I turn off the Voice Mail that comes with the Digital Voice service so I can keep using the phone's built in answering machine? It is much easier to know when there's a new message (flashing light), instead of having to pick up a handset and listen for a shutter-tone.

Accepted Solution

Re: A few questions before I add Digital Voice

Ok let's see here...

... regarding your SB5101, yes, you can keep that modem connected upon request.

(like me for example: I'm using a ARRIS 602 docsis 2 eMTA just for phone, and my Cisco docsis 3 modem for my internet since i got the 22 meg).  Keep in mind that the eMTA is for your internet and phone, but if you wish, you can ask Comcast to turn off the internet on the eMTA and turn on the net on your SB5101. I don't know why you would do this unless you had a docsis 3 modem and docsis 3 was available in your area, but yes, it's doable.

... Yes, voicemail can be turned off.

What I did, I left mine on, but I set it to pick up only after 9 rings. This way, it allows my answering machine to pick up after 5 rings, but in case my phone stops working, I still have that voicemail as a backup after 9 rings.

Hehe I love my phone Smiley Happy Check out the features too while you are here: http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq/FaqDetails.ashx?Id=3902

View answer in context
Valued Contributor

Ok let's see here...

... regarding your SB5101, yes, you can keep that modem connected upon request.

(like me for example: I'm using a ARRIS 602 docsis 2 eMTA just for phone, and my Cisco docsis 3 modem for my internet since i got the 22 meg).  Keep in mind that the eMTA is for your internet and phone, but if you wish, you can ask Comcast to turn off the internet on the eMTA and turn on the net on your SB5101. I don't know why you would do this unless you had a docsis 3 modem and docsis 3 was available in your area, but yes, it's doable.

... Yes, voicemail can be turned off.

What I did, I left mine on, but I set it to pick up only after 9 rings. This way, it allows my answering machine to pick up after 5 rings, but in case my phone stops working, I still have that voicemail as a backup after 9 rings.

Hehe I love my phone Smiley Happy Check out the features too while you are here: http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq/FaqDetails.ashx?Id=3902

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info. From what I've heard, DOCSIS 3.0 is coming to my area soon, and I've read the current eMTA modems can't use the faster DOCSIS 3.0 speeds (like the 22 or 50Mbps service). I'm not sure if I'd "upgrade" my internet service to those (because of the price), or if they have a Triple Play bundle with them.

As of now, I'd get the "HD Plus Triple Play" for $120/month(24). Then add the HD/DVR box $10, 2 standard digital boxes $14, eMTA modem rent $3, tax $20 = $167 per month for 2 years. Right now I'm at $158 for cable and internet (no premium channels) and $56 for AT&T home phone. So I'd basically be saving $50 for 2 years, but then after that the price would work out about the same that I'm paying now.

That's good to know about the VoiceMail. I have the home phone Panasonic answering machine set to pick up at 4 rings (and 2 rings if there is already a message "toll saver"). Once the Digital Voice is installed, I'd set it for like 7 rings in case the home phone loses power. 

What happens when someone calls you and your on the phone? 

I know it will show CallerID Waiting that you can go to, but I guess after so many rings it will transfer to the CDV Voice Mail?

Whoever comes to install it, I hope they can connect it directly to the in-wall wireing so that phones on all the plugs work. I know someone with Vonage and hate having 1 phone pluged into the back of the modem.

Regular Contributor

Comcast will be coming today to install the Digital Voice (Triple Play). I hope that it works OK and doesn't have the issues that other have reported. One thing that got be bugged was at 12-midnight last night the cable tv and internet service was out for a few hours. It's pretty rare for my service to be out, so my guess they were doing some time of work that was timed for the middle of the night.