Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
You can contribute an answer or post a question.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

List of compatable routers

I one point I remember finding a list of Comcast compatible routers... For some I can't seem to find it now... Does anyone know if I can use a Netopia Cayman 3500 Series ADSL Gateway to replace my Linksys BEFSR41 router that seems to be having connectivity problems...
Thanks
AllWally
Posted by
Connection Expert

Re: List of compatable routers

It appears that this device is only usable on a DSL connection.

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/pdf/spec/3500.pdf
Posted by
Email Expert

The FAQ contains a list of compatible modems. Any router that supports an Ethernet WAN connection with DHCP should work. However, the device you have is both an ADSL modem and a router, so it only has Ethernet LAN interfaces, not WAN, so it has no way to connect to a cable modem.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Oh well, too bad.... I guess I go router shopping after all...
Just for the heck of it I connected the modem to the LAN 1 port and the other two computers to ports 2 & 3 or 3 & 4 (can't remember for sure) and I was able to connect with one of the computers.
Does this make any sense? Not really important, but just wondering if I was imagining the whole thing or what...
Thanks for your help. You guys are always such a great resource. Don't know what we would do without you all...
AllWally
Posted by
Email Expert

All the LAN ports of the gateway are connected together as if they're on a hub or switch. And just as with a real hub, only one PC can use the cable modem unless you purchase multiple IPs.
Posted by
Connection Expert

If you are talking about the BEFSR41 router, the modem must be connected to the WAN (Internet) port of the router.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

OK thanks again for the info.
AllWally
Posted by
Connection Expert

Good luck Smiley Happy
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments