How to Connect to a Secured Wireless Router - iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch
If you have secured your wireless router according to the How to Secure a Wireless Router post in this forum, then these instructions will get your iPhone or iPod touch talking to it in no time. These instructions were completed on a 1st generation iPhone using firmware 2.2. The iPad and iPod Touch should be essentially the same. Whereever I say iPhone below, that means the iPad and iPod Touch as well.
1. Find the Settings button on the iPhone Home page. I have my Settings button on the 2nd page. The button looks like 3 gears or sprockets.
2. If you are not connected to a WiFi network, it should say "Not Connected", otherwise it lists the SSID of the netword you're using. Simply tap on WiFi to access the WiFi settings.
3. Set WiFi to On and the iPhone will seach for any available wireless networks that it can see. If your network is broadcasting, it will show up here. Then you can just tap it and provide the password or key and you're done. If your network is NOT broadcasting, the simply tap Other.
4. On the Other Network screen, enter the SSID of your wireless network for Name. Tap Security and select the wireless security type you setup on your router, here I use WPA2 which corresponds with WPA2 Personal on Linksys routers, or WPA2-PSK in Windows (too bad it's not consistent). Then enter your password. Remember, the SSID and password are case sensitive. Then press the Join button.
5. The WiFi Networks page should now look something like this with a check mark next to your wireless network, indicating you're connected to that network. Press Settings to go back to the main Settings screen
6. The main Settings screen should now list your SSID in the WiFi field. And you're done. Just press the Home key to exit Settings.