Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Has anyone configured the RCA DHG535-2 cable modem to go wireless?

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 4 (4,615 Views)

Has anyone configured the RCA DHG535-2 cable modem to go wireless?

I switched from Verizon to the Comcast Triple Pkg. An RCA DHG535-2 Cable Modem ? was installed. Does anyone know if this modem is also a router and whether a wireless configuration exists... or, is there anyone else out there that may have made the same switch of companies and that kept the Actiontec GT704WG wireless modem/router that was originally installed, and can it be configured to work together with the RCA DHG535-2 to have a wireless router at home?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES
Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 2 of 4 (4,612 Views)

Re: Has anyone configured the RCA DHG535-2 cable modem to go wireless?

That device is an EMTA, basically a cable modem with voice telephone capabilites.  It is NOT a router, wireless or otherwise, in the sense you mean.

I'm not familar with the Actiontec device, so I have no idea if its capable of being used on Comcast.  But if you can set it to straight DHCP for a connection type and it has an etherent WAN port, then yes, you probably can.  Otherwise, get a decent wireless router and have done with it.   I'm partial to the Linksys router, find one that fits your needs.  The WRT160N is a decent all around router, as is the venerable WRT54G.  If you want performance and gigabit interfaces, step up to the WRT610N.  Similar devices can be had from Netgear and D-Link, among others.  But stick with a name brand.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 4 (3,226 Views)

I have the same modem and Comcast gave me a router at no extra cost, call them and they will configure and set up your modem, they are excellent!!!  You can buy this modem (or a Comcast compatible one) at Best Buy or other store if you do not want to rent it and pay $7.00 a month, the battery backup cost is about $13.00 when you have to replace it. (Do not buy a modem on e-bay!!! some are stolen and there are no returns).

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 4 of 4 (3,218 Views)

Three year old thread closed.