Use this tool to find the codes of your devices and to get specific instructions on programming the codes into your Comcast remote.
I'll try to explain my problem the best I can,so bear with me. All seemed to work well up until 10 days ago.
Then a pop up said "my area connection network cable is unplugged" and I could not get on the internet.
I have a "Linskys wireless G broadband router with speed booster". It seems like I was disconnected somehow. Everything seems to be plugged in properly. When I tried to reconnect to the wireless router I was asked for my password. When I typed in my 5 digit password it replied that I did not have enough digits in my password. This is the password the teck gave me a year ago. My question to anyone is how do I go about getting the proper password so I can connect to my own wireless broadband router...I am now connected to a neighbors wireless router. I hope I've made myself clear and looking for any kind of help.
12-30-2009 08:41 PM
Some Linksys routers have a password of admin and no usernatme.
So first thing is to use a cable to connect to the router
Use the reset button in the back of the router to reset it to its factory defaults.
Reset switch is in a small hole on the back. Use a ball point pen or toothpick to get to it
once the router comces back up check to make sure you have a link light next to where the cable plugs into your computer
Then open your browser and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and see if you can browse into the router
If you get in, leave the user name blank and type admin into the password field.
That should get you in to the router. Go through the menus and change the password to what ever you want and then go into wireless security and set the encryption type to match what ever encryption type you have on your wireless computer wpA2 is better. Also enter a passphrase that you can put into the wireless computer t connect.
Then post back and let us know how you make out.
12-30-2009 09:36 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply...my Linsksys router has a user name and a password of "admin"...I did hit the reset button this morning. Forgive me, but I'm unable to locate the address bar to type in 192.168.1.1 Could you walk me through that step? I also have a "security mode of WPA" I don't know what that's about. As you can see, I'm still a novice when it comes to this sort of thing. Any help you can pass along would be appreciated. Thanks JMCS
12-31-2009 12:02 PM
Hey Frank, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Here is the process:
1. Connect the modem to the WAN Port of the Router with an Ethernet Cable.
2. Connect Lan Port #1 of the Router to a PC with a Ethernet Cable.
3. Power cycle the Modem. (Remove power cable and reinsert Power Cable)
4. Power cycle the Router as above
5. Power cyccle the PC as above
6. Open your Browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox etc)
7. In the address bar at the top where it says HTTP://WWW.COMCAST.NET or whatever, type 192.168.1.1 and hit enter. This should take you to your Router Login page
8. Click in the password box and type admin and hitenter
9. Click on wireless security and select WPA/WPA2 and enter a passphrase (whatever you were using before)
10. Click Save and close out
11. Set the PC to use the same encryption and passphrase
12. Remove the Ethernet cable connecting the PC to the Router
16. See if you can browse.
12-31-2009 03:05 PM
Alerts are an easy, quick way to manage your account and get information - like payment confirmations and your current balance.
©2011 Comcast | Investor Relations | Press Room | Corporate Blog | Privacy Statement | Visitor Agreement | Xfinity.com Feedback | Site Map