Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

"Creating Rules" functionality rendered useless (on New Portal)

New Poster

"Creating Rules" functionality rendered useless (on New Portal)

All my rules have apparently stopped working and Comcast instructed me to created brand new rules (9 of them!).  The "Create Rules" functionality has changed FOR THE WORSE.  It is VERY LIMITED in that it only allows you to create a rule for a specific time of day (i.e. 12:30 pm or 4:00 am), and does not enable fleibility like the previous portal.  Example #1 -If you have a light that you wish to turn on for 15 minutes every hour, in the new portal you'd have to create 24 rules to get that light to turn on each hour of the day.  Example #2 - If you want to trigger your camera to record a video each time (any time, any day) it detects motion during specific modes (Away, Vacation), you can specify the mode and the day, but you no longer have any options other than setting it at a SPECIFIC TIME (i.e. 2:35 pm or 8:46 am).  THIS IS HORRIBLY LIMITING AND DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF SURVEILLANCE VIDEOS.   PLEASE HELP, COMCAST!!!  PLEASE CORRECT THIS IMMEDIATELY and make it work the way the previous portal version worked where there was more flexibility and options.

Official Employee

Re: "Creating Rules" functionality rendered useless (on New Portal)

Hi spurcell -- 

I'd like to address your concerns with the rule functionality on the new Subscriber Portal.  

Example #1 -- We are actively working on creating the functionality on the new Subscriber Portal for lights automation rules to function as you described.  

Example #2 -- I'd like to better understand the scenario you are describing here.  To clarify, are you following the path I've described below?

I want to create a Rule for: select "Camera".

I want to Create a Rule for: select which camera in particular, for example "Inside Camera" & hit continue.

I want to create a Rule for "Inside Camera": select "Take a video" & hit continue.

At this point, you are given a number of choices including:  "When motion is detected" & "At a certain time"

If you select, "When motion is detected" & hit continue, you are then taken to the next page where you are able to either select "Always" or "Between time" which give you options other than selecting a specific time in relation to the motion sensor being triggered.

Is the above the path you are following?  I want to make sure I understand your question clearly.  Or are you asking for a path that would look like the following: 

I want to create a Rule for: select "Camera".

I want to Create a Rule for: select which camera in particular, for example "Inside Camera" & hit continue.

I want to create a Rule for "Inside Camera": select "Take a video" & hit continue.

At this point, you are given a number of choices including:  "When motion is detected" & "At a certain time" -- Is this where you are looking for an option for a time window?

Thanks!

Rachel

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

I agree that the old version was much more flexable and the new one is missing steps.  For example, I have a motion sensor on the front porch.  I have a rule set to turn on the front porch light but only from sunset to sunup.  After 5 minutes the light will go off.  There is no way in the new portal to have the lights turn back off after a period of time. 

Official Employee

Hi spacecadet57 - 

Thanks for reaching out with feedback.  We are actively working on the light duration functionality of automation in the new Subscriber Portal.

Thanks!

Rachel

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

That is the exact path I follow on the "previous version" portal.  That worked just fine.  I'm referring to Comcast's new portal where none of the path exists anymore.

Official Employee

Hi spurcell -- 

From your original post, I believe the scenario you are trying to automate is:  I want my camera to record a video each time it detects motion during a certain window of time.

Here are screenshots of the steps to take to achieve this scenario using the new Subscriber Portal.

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 1.24.56 PM.png1 - Select CamerasScreen Shot 2016-01-27 at 1.25.15 PM.png2 - Select which CameraScreen Shot 2016-01-27 at 1.25.24 PM.png3 - Select Take a VideoScreen Shot 2016-01-27 at 1.25.34 PM.png4 - Select When Motion is detected by Motion SensorScreen Shot 2016-01-27 at 1.25.45 PM.png5 - Select Between time & set preferred time window.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation