Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Cannot access the internet

New Poster

Cannot access the internet

I have a large home that has a network setup with 2 wireless access points in addition to the router.  Comcast. Home Security was installed in February and I had no problems with anything until a few weeks ago.  My daughter came home and neither her Mac nor her Iphone could access the internet, although both were connected to my network.  Then last Friday I awoke to having no internet access at all.  Got Comcast tech support (internet tech support) on the phone, and despite unplugging all the equipment nothing worked.  He tried to sell me some premium service in which I could have 24 hour tech support for my network, and then scheduled an appt to come out and look at everything.  While I was waiting for my appt. to go through, he asked if I had Home Security, and when I said yes he said he would have to look into getting my appt and would call me back.  Needless to say he didn't ever call me back and I still have no internet.  I plugged a laptop directly into the cable modem and there is internet coming in. From reading other posts on this forum I can see that that somehow there is a problem between the home security router and my network router.  The home security router was set up directly from my cable modem to it, and then my network router came after that.  I am sure that has something to do with the issue.  Any thoughts?  I have a the guy that installed the network coming on Tuesday but no doubt he will just set things up the way they were before I got Xfinity Home.  Is it possible for Comcast to come out and run a separate line for their security system through an additional cable modem?  We run a home based business and cannot afford for this to happen again especially since it has already been a few days.    

Regular Contributor

Re: Cannot access the internet

I would reboot the Home Security Router, then your router.

New Poster

Yes, I tried that.  Have Comcast. tech coming out this week.  I don't want to put the Home Security router ahead of my regular router as something happened that caused me to be without internet and phone for a long period of time.  I am going to ask them to run another line or split from something coming in.  It's ridiculous that I don't have control over my own router.  If they refuse I will run out my contract and go with someone else.

Contributor

Have a security tech come out, confirm the newest software update is installed on the touchscreen, and you will have no problem connecting the security router after your network.  This should work, after the software update has been applied.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation