online now

discussions

Installing new modem

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 2 (3,089 Views)

Installing new modem

Comcast wants me to install a new modem since my old one apparently can't handle the "full range of speeds" available. 

In looking over the self install package I see a note: "Connection of Xfinity service to your home's existing phone jacks requires the assistance of a Comcast technician".  Right now the modem is plugged into an existing phone jack which seems to power the other jacks in my home.  This wouldn't be a problem except my modem is under my kitchen counter and if I plug my phone into the new one I'm not going to have any place to put the phone.  And moving the modem is not really an option.

I don't want to have to pay a tech to come out here to hook the stupid thing up and now I'm nervous about messing with it. 

Any thoughts on what I should do?

1 REPLY
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 2 of 2 (3,032 Views)

Re: Installing new modem

You don't need a tech to replace a old eMTA telephony modem for a new one.  Just hook it up the same way.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program