Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

windows live

New Poster

windows live

Does Comcast no longer support Windows Live email? Having all kinds of problems.

Service Expert

Re: windows live

bunnygirl1 wrote:

Does Comcast no longer support Windows Live email? Having all kinds of problems.

What kind of problems are you having?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I'm totally confused. I read that Windows Live was being phased out. What does that mean? I use a comcast email address but also had a live email address that forwards everything to my comcast address. I don't even understand why I have a live address. Is that necessary with Outlook? My husband is having problems sending emails. Most of the time I get my emails on my iphone before I see them on Outlook on my computer but sometimes they don't appear at all. The other day I could not send group emails. Some of my contacts in my group no longer appear in the group. This all happened after the xfinity change and update of outlook.    Big question is - do I need a windows live email address? Can I use comcast only?

Email Expert

bunnygirl1 wrote:

I'm totally confused. I read that Windows Live was being phased out. What does that mean? I use a comcast email address but also had a live email address that forwards everything to my comcast address. I don't even understand why I have a live address. Is that necessary with Outlook? My husband is having problems sending emails. Most of the time I get my emails on my iphone before I see them on Outlook on my computer but sometimes they don't appear at all. The other day I could not send group emails. Some of my contacts in my group no longer appear in the group. This all happened after the xfinity change and update of outlook.    Big question is - do I need a windows live email address? Can I use comcast only?

To answer your question-------no, there is no requirement that anyone have a Live email account.  But obviously you have one from some time in the past.  Live is just one of the iterations of Hotmail from Microsoft.  Others include MSN, Outlook.com, and one or two others.  But there is no connection to a Comcast email account.  

I have the feeling you are confusing Outlook ( a desktop email client that comes bundled with Microsoft Office) with Outlook.com, which is a webmail service, and used to be called Hotmail.  Hotmail, Live, MSN and Outlook.com are all the same thing.  They just use the different domain names so older account holders don't have to change their email address.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank you for your explanation. That's more than I knew before.

Can I safely remove anything to do with a windows live email address? I thought it had to be redirected through that to my comcast email address. I would certainly never have gone that route. I have such fear of losing everything.

Email Expert

I'm still not quite clear on just what your situation is.  You have at least one Comcast email address.  Do you have another one that looks like this?------------------

xxxxxxxxxxxxx@live.com

If so, there is no connection to the Comcast account unless you had set up the Live account to auto-forward to the Comcast account.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Exactly right.  One comcast email and that is the address I give out and always use.   Also a live.com that I guess was set up with MS Office when I got this computer in 2007. It automatically forwards to the comcast address. There seems to be some difficulty with the forwarding at times.

Can I just delete the live.com address? I never give it out. No one actually has it or uses it. I just thought it came with outlook and you had to have it. I have such a fear of losing everything.

Thank you for your patience. And believe it or not, I am much better on the computer than all my friends!

Email Expert

You can delete the Live account if you like.  You should find this of interest---------------

http://email.about.com/od/windowslivehotmailtips/qt/Know_When_Your_Windows_Live_Hotmail_Account_Beco...

In the interim, you can go into the account settings and disable the auto-forward.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon