Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

upgrade to latest mail client

New Poster

upgrade to latest mail client

I've asked this question before, but the responses I got had nothing to do with my question.

What I need to find out is how to upgrade multiple Comcast email accounts to the new format if I have only one non-Comcast email account.

I was able to upgrade one account, but cannot the others because I get a message saying my only backup email address is already in use. This is frustrating since all my Comcast email accounts have the same backup address. This was verified via Chat. Now I have one account in the new format and the others in the old format. I get reminders to upgrade, but have to click the Ask Later button because Comcast's system won't accept my input.

I understand the two part verification system: email address and security question. I can use the same secuirty question with multiple backup email addresses, but cannot use the same email address with different security questions. This does not make sense, since both have to be correct to gain access.

Email Expert

Re: upgrade to latest mail client

The thinking behind this new requirement is that if a hacker can get into one of your backup addresses, they can try to do a password reset for the account.  If they do that, then any other account using the same backup address is vulnerable to the same thing.  Using different ones reduces the potential damage.  I have 3 Comcast accounts right now.  All three use different, non-Comcast email addresses for recovery purposes.  I have a total of 11 email accounts including the 3 with Comcast.  I also use Lastpass to keep track of all of those passwords and security questions.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: upgrade to latest mail client

This is the same type response I got before. It does no t address what I posted.

The purpose of having a multi-step authentication is to provide security. It requires all to be correct to gain access. The majority of sites only use a password and security question. They do not require a backup email address for security purposes.

As I stated, if a person uses the same security question for multiple backup email addresses, it is accepted.

However, if a person uses the same backup email address with different security questions, it is not accepted.

In both cases, part of the supposed authentication requirement is vulnerable - equally so.

Why does Comcast insist its members who have multiple Comcast email accounts also have multiple non-Comcast email accounts, but does not apply the same limitation on the security question? The sole stated purpose of a non-Comcast email address is to provide a means of contact should there be a problem with the Comcast email system. It is NOT used for logging in to access the email. All that is requested are the username/email address and password. In the 15+ years I've been using Comcast email, I have only twice been asked for my security question(s), but NEVER for my backup email address.

I have multiple Comcast email accounts, each for a specific purpose. Why should I have to set up a bunch of dummy non-Comcast email accounts just to obtain the upgrade? This would only mean I have to access more accounts to clean out the SPAM and Phishing attempts, or to see if Comcast needed to contact me outside my Comcast email account.

Why is this step even required to upgrade to the new email format? The username, password, and possibly the security question, should be sufficient to obtain the upgrade. That is the point of my question - not how to work around the problem.