Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

un-selecting & deleting Inbox message

Contributor

un-selecting & deleting Inbox message

Once one has selecting Inbox message, there are several behaviors that are less than convenient.

To unselect it (and all Inbox messages), selecting "Inbox" does nothing.  So I'm left to select another mailbox, THEN select Inbox.

Once one places the focus on the message body (and thus the message row is no longer highlighted)(and even sometimes when the row still *is* highlighted), the keyboard delete key no longer trashes the message.  So I'm forced to click the Trash button.

Perhaps something forces these behaviors; if not I hope to see these fixed.

Email Expert

Re: un-selecting & deleting Inbox message

Try clearing out your browser's cache/browsing history. When you have done that, close out the browser and re-start it in a fresh session. If that doesn't do it, then try using a different browser.  I just tried deleting with the Delete key using Firefox and Chrome and they both worked as expected.  To close a message, just click on the box to the left of it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Thank you very much for your reply, Latoque!

Clicking the box to the left of the message's row does clear the display of the message's body, but it also selects the message (putting "1 messages selected" where the message body was). Not the same as closing the message.

I cleared Chrome's Browing history, Cache, and Cookies. No change on both my PC's. Ditto using Firefox.

Did you understand that the problematic situation is when the row's highlight is no longer dark but gray? (That's specifically what results from moving the 'focus' by clicking in the message body.)

Email Expert

Are you still in the old email format or the new one?  To tell, look at the URL in the address bar and if it says Zimbra you are in the old one.  If it says Appsuite you are in the new one.  I would like to confirm that we are looking at the same things.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Good man.  It says "appsuite".  My browser is Chrome.

Oh, and there's a MUCH worse manifestations of my issue first issue (re: selecting "Inbox"):

If I do a Search (let's say of "all folders" when my Inbox is empty) and recieve Search result (even if I do NOT select a message row from the results),  EVEN then selecting "Inbox" does NOTHING!   This is I think a bug.

Email Expert

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?  Redact any names or email addresses if you need to.  If I check the box it closes the message and "One message selected" appears in the void---true enough.  If I click the box a second time, it unselects the message and removes that.  Is that what you mean?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Latoque wrote:

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? Redact any names or email addresses if you need to. 

If I check the box it closes the message and "One message selected" appears in the void---true enough.  If I click the box a second time, it unselects the message and removes that.  Is that what you mean?

First, oh yes, I see that if I click that box twice I do get the message-clearing behavior I've been wanting (and we used to have on the old Xfinity webmail, and every other email program and webmail I've used).  But that's twice as much clicking as I want to do (I have carpal tunnel), and as we should need to do.

I would happily post a screenshot but I can't figure out what to shoot, as my issues are with things that do NOT happen.  How do I show you something not happening?

Oh, and the issue with the delete key not trashing messages is even worse than I thought.  If I use the scroll bar to view a long message, the message row is still dark (not gray) highlighted, but even with that dark highlight the delete key does NOTHING (I guess because the focus has followed one's use of the scroll bar).

Edit: I have applied "strikethrough" to the last paragraph because (while it did happen as I described,) now I can't replicate it.  Now when I use the scroll bar the dark highlight turns to gray highlight.