Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

sudden spam increase

Contributor

sudden spam increase

Over the past few months the amount of solicitation/advertizing spam to my comcast e-mail account has steadily increased. I went from getting very little - about 1 month to 8-10 a day.

I have my spam filter properly set and I have a spam folder. I report every one I recieve as spam. Why is this happening??

Email Expert

Re: sudden spam increase

Take a look at this article.  Spam is pretty unpredictable.  Some people get very little, others get slammed----------------------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Thank you. Great article. But it still doesn't answer why - all of a sudden - I'm getting tons more spam traffic. By the way, I also have a gmail account that gets -0- spam. So what's with that? Better filter? Spammers just haven't found me yet? I'm about done with Comcast. 

Email Expert

The Gmail filters are pretty good, but so are the ones for Comcast.  Once your email address is on a spammer's list, you will be a target.  In my four Comcast accounts I get just about 0 junk mail..  My Yahoo account, on the other hand, seems to be a spam magnet.  But it's been published on the internet at least once.  I get about 1000 spam emails a month in that account.  The spam filter is good in that almost none of it gets to the Inbox, but I have to spend time looking through the Spam folder to make sure nothing legitimate got snagged.

So I guess what I'm saying is that spam is cyclical, and it is certainly nothing peculiar to Comcast.

Just sayin

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Thank you. You are kind to help.

My experience with Comcast has been less than satisfactory for a lot of reasons the least of which is customer service. I've gotten more help from people such as you than from them. This spam issue may just push me over to another provider. 

New Poster

I am experiencing the same problem.  There has been a sudden and significant increase in SPAM to my account.  Frankly, responses implying "stuff happens" and comparing filters from various services are NOT helpful.  I have started using the web interface (vice OutLook) so I can mark these e-mails as SPAM.  This is supposed to drive updates to the Comcast e-mail SPAM filters, but so far I have seen ZERO improvement.  Hello Comcast - What are you doing to support your customers!?

Contributor

My experience with these forums is that typically no one from Comcast replies. It is simply a place to "vent" your problem and hope that maybe someone else has figured out a solution. Their customer service is the worst. I began receiving "Security Notices" last week whenever I switched web pages on the internet. The notice was vague and suggested that I call Comcast Security (it gave a number that I checked out - it is actually Comcast) and reference "AUPM" or some such nonsense. When I called the "Security Rep." either didn't know what an AUPM was or wouldn't tell me. All he said was that he could help me fix my computer. REALLY? I kept asking him to tell me why I received the notice and he just kept telling me he could fix my computer. Of course he was foreign. I hung up because it sounded fishy. But the Comcast number was correct. All the information on the web told me it was related to our data usage. I figured out from there how to fix it and all seems fine now. My spam problem persists.