Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

spam filter not working

Regular Contributor

spam filter not working

I've seen this posted recently, but do not see any solution.  I receive 5-6 spam emails every day.  I try setting up a filter, but the spam is still getting to my Inbox.  Filters do not appear to work. 

Does anyone have a solution for this?

kathyjoe
Email Expert

Re: spam filter not working

Trying to use filters to control spam is not much good unless the junk is always from the same email address.  The problem is that spammers are continually changing the sending addresses they use.  You're best bet is to just keep marking as spam the ones that get through to your Inbox.  Junk mail is an unfortunate side effect of using email, and it is ubiquitous.  You can get spam no matter who's email accounts you use.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your response.  I am disappointed, however, because Comcast advertises and "brags" about what they are doing about Spam and nothing is really being done.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/reducing-spam-email/

If nothing else, the spam filtering into my INBOX, not even going to SPAM, has tripled over the last few months. 

The email filters are not even accurate.  There is a prompt to "forward the email" to a different email address and everytime I try that, I get a reply that the filter cannot do that.   Just a waste of time.

Oh well, thanks for responding, though.

Have a good day Smiley Happy

kathyjoe
Email Expert

Comcast uses the same kind of anti-spam technology that other major email providers use.  But your email address is being targeted, and once that happens it can be a wild ride indeed.  I never get spam in my Comcast accounts------so far.  My Yahoo account is another story.  I get about 1000 a month thrown at it.  Their spam filters are pretty good and only a few get to the Inbox, but still they do.  Here is something you might find interesting------------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I never got spam in my Comcast email either, until about 2 months ago.  However, I still do not understand why the filter won't block a sender if I use one of the conditions that says "contains" because most of the Spam I'm getting "contains" the words: newsletter.xxxxxxxxx, x's being different in each case.  So if I set up a filter to delete anything that contains "newsletter" in the From field,  I believe it should delete those emails before they get to me.

Maybe I just don't understand filters.  Wish these people would find something better to do, like get a real job, cause I'll never buy anything from any of these people who do this.

Thanks again.

kathyjoe
Email Expert

Then the next thing I would suggest is that you set up your Comcast account in an email client program like Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird or some other and try using the filtering system in that.  Another option would be to just change your Comcast email address which is easy to do, but maybe inconvenient for you.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks, but I already have an email client and I use the filter there also, but I can only filter it after it's already been delivered from Comcast.  At least Windows Live put's most of them in the Spam file.  It is still annoying that these people have nothing better to do.  Makes me wonder if they really get any sales this way. 

kathyjoe
Email Expert

If they send out 100,000 emails and get 3 or 4 people to respond it's all they need.  It costs them nothing to send out the junk, so any response they get justifies their action in their greedy, sick minds.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon