Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

retrieving lost emails and addressbook

New Poster

retrieving lost emails and addressbook

I had a bad virus in my computer.  I took it to Staples where I purchased it and the only way to fix it was to remove Windows 10 and then redownload it.  They did that but in the process I lost all my emails and entire address book.  Is there any way to retrieve those?

Regular Visitor

Re: retrieving lost emails and addressbook

If you were using a POP mail client like Outlook or macmail, by default those programs download the mail off the comcast server to your device (which then possesses the only copy). They can be configured to leave a copy, but it requires manual intervention on your part to configure it this way.  In this scenario unless you enabled the 'leave a copy' setting on your device's mail program it is unlikely there will be anything except the mail accumulating while your device was down. There is also a configuration for IMAP that these priograms can use that would beave the email still visible on the Comcast server. The address book is locked to the application as well unless you manually exported it and then kept manually updating it yourself. If you only used web access by visiting the Comcast/Xfinity web portal, then that information is still there under most circumstances and you can simply login and check.