Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

rejected emails

New Poster

rejected emails

When I send an email to an address that doesn't exist, I don't receive a message telling me that the email didn't go through. Surely, that capability exists with Comcast Email, but how do I implement it? 

Email Expert

Re: rejected emails

You really have no way to tell if an address really exists or not unless you either get a response or a bounce message when you send to it, or you have some prior knowledge that it doesn't exist.  I tried it using a couple of bogus IDs with the Yahoo domain, and both messages went out.  I didn't get any bounce on either one of them.  So even though I just cooked them up randomly, that doesn't mean they don't exist.  Also, it depends on how the message is handled at the recipient domain.

If you try to send to a made-up domain, the second you hit Send Comcast email will pop up a message saying it wasn't sent.  I tried that too, using @shclomozzle.edu and a fake user ID.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for your response, but two hours ago I sent an email to: pnnnnnnnnnnnnkx@verizon.net.

And so far, I have not received a notification that it didn't go through. So in the future, if I send an important email and make a slight mistake in the address, apparently the email will go out, but I will never find out that the intended addresse never received it.

Email Expert

More than anything, it depends on the domain you're sending to.  Not all email providers will generate a  bounce message.  If you send to an address that is no longer valid, Comcast will generate an "undeliverable" message to you.  If someone sends to a Comcast email address that has been closed, the sender will get "not our customer".  But there is little uniformity among mail providers as far as bounce messages are concerned.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated.